Forums Latest Members
  1. numberonesix Feb 2, 2018

Good evening, folks.

I was recently gifted this watch and am interested in selling it. $500 was paid for it, with no papers involved. I took it to an appraiser that valued it at $4050 CDN. He indicated that it was refurbished but in very good condition, and that as the watch is discontinued the valuation was based on a replacement of a similar model.

I've put the watch online in various locations, with the lowest offer for it being $200 and the highest being $700. Collector Square is offering me approximately $2200 CDN for it, which is obviously better than those two offers, and an offer I'm very tempted to accept.

My questions are as follows:

1) Is $2200 a fair price for this watch?

2) Is Collector Square a legitimate website? I've googled them and have seen nothing negative about them this far.

3) Does anyone have any details about this watch outside of what's attached in the appraisal? The appraiser indicated that the back would need to be removed for serial numbers, etc, but that he didn't have the tool in store to do so.

Thank you very much for your time.

Edited Feb 14, 2018
  2. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Feb 2, 2018

If you don't want to keep the watch and Collector Square (whoever they are) is willing to send you a legitimate 2200 CDN (i.e., not a 'check' that could turn out fake), then I say 'Go For IT'!

The $700 figure actually seems closer to 'real'...

Edited Feb 3, 2018
    Davidt and Foo2rama like this.
  3. numberonesix Feb 2, 2018

Rog. The appraiser said he's seen them sell for around $1100 but that I could probably get a bit more for it given the condition.

4. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Feb 3, 2018

Ignore the insurance valuation at over 4K. I can’t believe that he put a 4x multiple on it and told you.

Wow need him to appraise some stuff that’s going to get lost....

On eBay I’d doubt it would break 700usd. That’s my take.

Davidt likes this.
  5. Davidt Feb 3, 2018

If the 2k offer is legit, take it and run. It's worth nowhere near that IMO.

Foo2rama likes this.
  6. Edward53 Feb 3, 2018

I wonder what "current similar models" he had in mind. You could buy a vastly superior Seamaster 300 coaxial chronometer for that money. It's hard to believe the appraiser put in a great deal of research time on this particular assignment.

7. micampe Feb 3, 2018

I bet they compared it to this one

[​IMG]

Foo2rama and dougiedude like this.
  8. Edward53 Feb 3, 2018

Well that would certainly explain the valuation. The name is the same and that's about it. Modern Omegas are a closed book to me but I suspect there is no longer anything comparable to the original watch.