Forums Latest Members
  1. canwatchco Jan 29, 2016

2. canwatchco Jan 29, 2016

I have had an 18k 14900 sitting in my safe for quite some time. While I was a collector of modern Omega from 1980 - 2000, I never had a sweet tooth for vintage... and so put off dealing with it for a later date.

I took this watch in as partial trade on a deal a few years ago. I was told that it was a family watch that had been cared for and serviced all its life. I timed it and it was running about COSC. Then I put it away to decide what to do with it.

It recently popped to the surface, so now I want to show it and get some opinions.

This was a well worn watch. I can spot several flaws. First, the SWISS MADE lettering is no longer on the dial at 6:00. There is some black residue and mild staining on the dial. Perhaps it was cleaned at some point? Also, one of the lugs is visibly bent, although apparently undamaged.

Everything appears to be original to the watch, but I may be wrong and stand to be corrected.

None of the flaws were visible to me at the time I got it. Its the first time I have looked at it carefully with a loupe and camera lense.

It looks great and wears fine even with the bent lug. Worth keeping and restoring... keeping as is... or trading out to someone with a greater appreciation for it?

Opinions sought.

Cheers!

3. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Jan 29, 2016

Welcome.

Unfortunately this one is well beyond restoring, its so heavily worn and polished, the dial has also been very poorly refinished at some point.

Google Omega 14900 and you'll see what the case should look like.

4. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 29, 2016

As already stated that dial was refinished and a coarsely done job. This watch had such a hard life that redoing the dial may have be the only avenue. In short the watch is a mess. Very sad.

5. Hijak Jan 29, 2016

The case is so misshapen I thought it was a fake at first glance! Very sad indeed.:(

6. Sherbie Jan 29, 2016

Hope you can melt the gold, sell the movement, sell the hands, baton markers and star, and perhaps the dial ( which may also be 18k?), and get your money back. best of luck

7. theridewill Like your watch? Then don't listen to my advice. Jan 29, 2016

Save this omega from total death...dont melt the gold...just let this stand by may be a good replacement dial specimen might come out in the near future...this watch is still worth something...

8. theridewill Like your watch? Then don't listen to my advice. Jan 29, 2016

since it is made of solid gold and gold is very malleable and it doesnt break so easily, the lugs can be easily repaired or realligned by a skilled goldsmith...

9. mondodec Editor Constellation Collectors Blog Jan 29, 2016

Problem is that the watch has lost its identity and doesn't look like a 14900 anymore. The dial, I feel, is from a later period: note the thick onyx markers, whereas with the 14900s of the early 60s the inlaid markers were thinner. The other reason why it doesn't look like a 14900 is that the lug profile, that of a dog leg, has completely vanished through wear and polishing.

I dont believe this watch is recoverable. You would make more money melting the case and offering the movement for sale, perhaps as a deposit on a good example of the same, or a 167.005 model.

Cheers

Desmond

ahartfie, Difeer, boat2dan and 2 others like this.
  10. deuceman11 Jan 29, 2016

The incorrect font looks very similar to the redial that was done many years ago on my 18K white gold 2782 Constellation which is also a Canadian watch.

..[​IMG]

11. canwatchco Jan 29, 2016

I do appreciate the responses. No big surprises...

Interestingly, it actually looks kind of nice in the real world. My macros show the warts etc... but in fact its rather pretty on the wrist.

I didn't overpay, as I considered it basically for the gold. I will not restore it. I will wear it as is or find a new home for it, but I won't melt it down.

Thanks for the insight.

Cheers!

ahartfie likes this.
  12. ConElPueblo Jan 30, 2016

I would love to see any examples of this....

Sorry, but unless the goldsmith were to do a sort of gold laser welding, he'd never get this looking anywhere new. Also, it would be expensive. REALLY expensive.

Difeer and Archer like this.