[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm not sure what I have here. It was sold to me as a pre-moon Speedy, but the 29xx serial number dates the movement to 1970.

Thanks.

Marty

2. Lex4TDI4Life Nov 21, 2012

"Pre-moon" might have been technically correct, but not the most sincere description. "Pre-moon" usually refers to Speedies with the 321, not 861 movement. The case is a '69 case, which may or may not have been made before the actual moon launch. It is not uncommon for a case and a movement to differ by a year, as well.

While the case back is a pre-moon case back, I wouldnt call this a pre-moon watch. Others with more expertise will chime in, but I think the seller was a bit insincere or just not knowledgeable. That being said, it's still a great looking watch; I just hope you didn't pay a pre-moon premium for it.

3. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 21, 2012

Generally speaking I think most give the '69 the benefit of the doubt and call it pre-moon, although you are right chronologically

4. Steve Nov 22, 2012

Half of the Speedies manufactured in 1969 will be pre-moon, the other half wont :p

5. Wheels Nov 22, 2012

Strictly speaking doesn't pre moon denote the type of case back and bezel on the watch? That is a pre moon landing case back.

6. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Nov 22, 2012

I thought these were called "transitional" - per moon case but a 861 movement

7. Wheels Nov 22, 2012

AFAIK it isn't a transitional because it doesn't have the applied Omega dial with the 861 movement. Like this:
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353583816.487899.jpg

Martyds watch is an early 861 with pre moon case back.

8. NiklasARvid Nov 22, 2012

Classic cool! and with some brownish notes to the dial colour if I am not mistaken?, very very nice patina!!!
    (minus chrono second hand which was probably replaced?)

9. richardew Nov 22, 2012

My 29.638.xxx was produced in June of 1970. It is also a 145.022-69.
    Pre moon => no inscription on the caseback, just the sea monster.
    Transitional => These are mostly from 1968 and have the 321 dial with the applied omega and the long hour markers that extend to the edge of the dial. They often have the "dot over 90" bezel.
    You have a great looking speedy. It has a nice patina on the hour markers. I think the hands are all original. The sweep second hand also has some patina on the dagger.
    number 8.jpg

10. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 22, 2012

Great watch Marty, I hope your concerns have been allayed.:thumbsup:

11. Martyd Nov 22, 2012

I love the watch. Regrettably, the chronograph hand is a new replacement. It glows like a mofo :) I'm looking for a suitable replacement. If anyone knows where to source one, please let me know.

Thanks.

Marty

12. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 22, 2012

In the mean time one alternative is you could remove the lume from the present hand and replace it with non-glowing media of the proper colour.

13. trim Nov 22, 2012

In addition to reluming (you could also use a 'vintage' tinted lump) you can apparently bake them in an oven to 'age' the white paint. Can't say I've baked one myself - but it might be good to order a spare first, as I believe it's tricky - but very successful when done well. Perhaps this suggestion is half-baked, but I'll be trying it myself soon enough.

Another treatment (that I've actually used) is to stain new lume with black tea and a fine brush. It gets the color close (would you believe) but kills the lume dead. Dead I tell you. Which is probably a good thing if you're matching an old dial and set of hands anyway. There is a little art to this, so practice is recommended. You can reduce the tea by boiling until the colour is right, and the good thing is, if its wrong you can wash it off the hand and try again.

Maybe tea would also work on the bright white paint, but I don't know.

14. Martyd Nov 22, 2012

I've aged hands by baking them. It works pretty well. I think to get the best results, I need to start with three new hands. The lume in the hour and minute hands is almost black. I can mimic that, but I think hands that more closely match the dial, would be a better look.

15. astrosfan Nov 22, 2012

Love it! Great score & thank you for sharing!

16. JulienLeBreton Feb 1, 2013

HI martyd,

how did you proceed to cook them?
    I'd like some tips to cook them to make them fit with my chocolate dial!
    hummm! tasting good;)