Forums Latest Members
  1. rouxeny Nov 2, 2016

I think this dates from the late '60's. My dad just recently passed it on to me.

The original bracelet is too large for me, and not adjustable. It's also a little worn, I'm a little afraid it may break.

I'm going to look for a strap for it, the lug width is only 14 mm.

Does anybody have any info on this watch? Specifically it's potential age or movement or reference? I'm personally more of a Rolex guy, but I'd like to keep my dad's watch in my rotation.

Thanks for any help you guys can provide.

Wow, adding photos here is a lot easier than on Rolexforums.

IMG_6393.JPG IMG_6394.JPG IMG_6396.JPG
  2. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Nov 2, 2016

If you could provide clear photos of the inside of the case back and the movement, you'll be able to get a lot of information.

chronos likes this.
  3. rouxeny Nov 2, 2016

I believe it is a press-on case back, but unfortunately I don't know how to remove it.

4. novina Nov 2, 2016

What @efauser said is the only way to properly identify it. I think it looks something made in the 70"s from that bracelet alone. But not so sure. Take it to a watch maker capable of opening it and take good detailed pictures of any numbers on the movement and the inside case back. Then all information will be readily forthcoming.

5. rouxeny Dec 27, 2016

An update. I brought it to he Omega Boutique in South Coast Plaza today. They were very helpful. The movement is cal. 711. The sales lady looked through their Omega encyclopedia, she thinks the watch is from 1976, which my dad confirms is possible. There were many pictures of other watches with similar bands, but not one of this watch with that band. My dad also added that he thinks it's possible the band was made by a third party in Hong Kong, as that was common practice then.

Included is a pic of what the Omega folks think represents my watch. I'm not entirely convinced, the stem looks different.

It is a press on case back, so I'll include a pic of the movement when I open it again.

IMG_7057.JPG
  6. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Dec 27, 2016

Bumper likes this.
  7. rouxeny Dec 27, 2016

I unfortunately did not think to take a picture of the info in the case back. However, it seemed like a trivial matter to get the case back off, so I'll try it at home and put up what I get.

Yes, the boutique folks were very nice but they clearly didn't know much about older models. She looked this up primarily based on the caliber. 711 seems like it was popular, and was put in a lot of different model watches.

8. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Dec 27, 2016

Your watch is in really nice shape. Go to YouTube and watch a video on how to use a case knife.

Greetings from Newport Beach, neighbor.

Edited Dec 27, 2016
  9. rouxeny Dec 27, 2016

Foo2rama, I appreciate your input, I think you are right, it is likely one of those, except both mention a seconds hand which my watch does not have, and mine has a blue jewel on the crown also. I hadn't realized the immense variety of watches Omega has put out.

After examining the watch, I have now noticed a smattering of new scratches on the back from the case back removal at the boutique. Perhaps it is not as trivial as it seemed.

I think I will just be satisfied in my new knowledge of what caliber the watch has, the general date of manufacture, that the bracelet was not original, and that it is likely solid gold and not plated. I'll find an 18 mm strap and start to enjoy it.

Oh, I did also learn that the watch is essentially not water resistant, other than some splashing from washing of hands, and that the movement seemed to be in good condition based on cursory review at the boutique.

10. kkt Dec 28, 2016

New scratches?? I don't necessarily expect a whole lot of expertise about vintage watches at a boutique, but they should at least know how to open a case or else send the customer elsewhere.

11. DON Dec 28, 2016

12. Vitezi Dec 28, 2016

A similar example (with date) in this 1973 catalog:
    [​IMG]
    (thanks)

A manual-wind version, in this 1972 catalog:
    [​IMG]
    (thanks)

Jwit likes this.
  13. rouxeny Dec 28, 2016

Thanks for those pics. Possibly my crown is a non-Omega replacement?