Forums Latest Members

Questionable dials/description in the private watch sale forum

1. chronos Oct 6, 2019

What is your approach if you feel like a watch in private watch sales forum has flaws that aren't pointed out?
    What if it is a redial but there is no mention about it? And no questions asked publicly?

Of course buyers are expected to do their due diligence, but I always thought this place is supposed to be a save place. Or at least as save as possible.
    In the last couple of weeks I was watching the sales section and I saw some ads which in my inexperienced eye, at least have some issues. And these ads got likes, implying the people liking it see it as a good deal. But almost none of the problems got addressed.
    Of course I feel like it's not really my business, but on the other hand, it just doesn't feel right. It doesn't feel right that the likes might give a wrong impression about the quality of the ad, especially to inexperienced buyers. And it feels wrong no questions are being asked publicly.
    What is your approach?

2. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Oct 6, 2019

I would start with a pm to the seller, expressing concerns. If that proves fruitless, I would report the listing to the staff.

McKinley, DaveK, Nathan1967 and 7 others like this.
  3. Dan S Oct 6, 2019

I think it's tricky when the issues are potentially subjective (questionable dials, claims of "unpolished" cases, etc.). However, if there is something objectively incorrect about the watch, such as incorrect parts that aren't disclosed, I definitely think the listing should be corrected.

DaveK, Nathan1967 and JwRosenthal like this.
  4. Walrus Oct 6, 2019

I sometimes shoot a message to the obviously misleading sales, it does nothing but I feel a little better doing it.

5. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Oct 6, 2019

And be prepared to back up your objection.

Some sellers are actually appreciative of an expert pointing out something they overlooked in a watch they are attempting to sell.

I can think of two examples where a seller withdrew an incorrectly described watch when the aftermarket dial or bezel was brought to their attention. Sometimes the seller is truly ignorant of the issue; no intent to unload a flawed piece at all.

McKinley, DaveK, Nathan1967 and 5 others like this.
  6. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Oct 6, 2019

I have done this here and with on line dealers. Never had an unpleasant response and always saw an immediate clarification in the Item description. Failing this, it’s ok to start a new thread to discuss the watch.

Nathan1967, Temprus and felsby like this.