Forums Latest Members
  1. seawiz Aug 30, 2018

New to the hobby and trying to learn as much as possible. I came across this watch on Goodwill Auctions a couple of weeks ago. I contacted their customer service and mentioned a couple of things that didn't look right. They pulled the ad and sent it to Authenticate First to be checked. They were told its real and have relisted it. Goodwill claimed that they couldn't get the back open. They also won't test the gold content even though they mention the methods they use to test it on other items.

Original listing: https://www.shopgoodwill.com/Item/56098842

New listing: https://www.shopgoodwill.com/Item/56733014

My concerns:
    1. The lettering and minute marks on the face are fuzzy around the edges and indistinct.
    2. The date doesn't line up with the window.
    3. The star under "constellation" is skewed.
    3. Some of the "Gold" appears to have worn off. (I can't find any mention of a gold plated or filled version of this watch)
    4. The stamping on the clasp looks a little uneven.
    5. Most of these that I can find pictures of have a serial number on the back just under the observatory.
    6. I'm not sure if the hands are correct for this watch.

When they relisted it, they changed to smaller, low resolution pictures that don't show much detail.
    It might just be a lousy redial on an authentic watch but the fact that they haven't opened it and won't test the gold makes me suspicious.

What do you think?

fakeomega3.JPG fakeomega5.JPG fakeomega7.JPG fakeomega6.JPG

2. Dero13 4 watches. All set to the wrong time. Aug 30, 2018

Terribly redialed. Avoid.

3. Vercingetorix Spam Risk Aug 30, 2018

Split pins in bracelet means fake.

4. guaranteed.rohu Aug 30, 2018

yeah just the messy text on the dial is not a good sign - avoid!

5. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Aug 30, 2018

Alas looks like a high end 80’s fake to me.

If you like eagle claw pieces they are super affordable but run from this one.

6. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Aug 30, 2018

I think you've done enough research to save yourself from finding out you have a redial or even worse, a fake.

Some of the points you raised could be due to the way Omega changed processes/methods of marking during that era.

The only possible way to absolutely determine originality is to view the insides.

Original pins are stepped centres held by spring collars, but they "could" be later repairs.

Archer and Foo2rama like this.
  7. seawiz Aug 31, 2018

Thanks for the feedback and the information. The auction on it ends today and the bid is at 451.00 right now. Is there any recourse for them selling a fake like this?

8. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Aug 31, 2018

Not really. In theory if you purchased it you could get your money back.

It might be real as I look at it again... the poor printing may be due to the facts it’s a very small ladies piece. Also note it’s band is for a 6 inch wrist. Your not exactly going to be able to make it bigger.

387AD41A-4600-44EC-93D3-92E9B5D26C33.png

9. rcs914 Aug 31, 2018

So how did they test the gemstones without opening the watch? Does a Presidium test through a watch crystal? Seems odd.

10. michael22 Aug 31, 2018

The date wheel doesn't seem to fit properly. At the least, it is a fake dial, IMO.
    I think you know enough to leave it, better watches elsewhere.

11. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Aug 31, 2018

They are not claiming those are diamonds. It’s boiler plate, read it again. No pearls or anything else on it. It only applies to diamond gemstones.

12. rcs914 Sep 2, 2018

It confused me since it appears to have diamond indices so I thought it was referring to that, but I see what you mean about it being boilerplate.

Foo2rama likes this.
  13. michael22 Sep 2, 2018

Wow! it went for $888.

14. Fialetti Sep 2, 2018

Ouch! It's not just the dial that's fake. The caseback observatory and stars look like they were molded on a potato.

Kudos for trying to get Goodwill to pull it though.