Forums Latest Members

Question: when did Rolex switch to ceramic pin in the day date line?

1. guaranteed.rohu Sep 22, 2020

Hi OF,

Trying to figure out, and struggling to via google search, when Rolex swapped to ceramic pins in their day date (36mm) line, does anyone know?

Considering picking one up as my next major watch purchase, and I'm keen for minimal bracelet stretch. From what I gather it could be around the 18238 or 118238 reference.

Pic for reference, thanks.

[​IMG]

2. Tekashi_145.022 Oct 19, 2020

My understanding is that ceramic links were introduced in the Day-Date line with the 118238. TRF may have more insights.

Most 6 digit references feature the ceramic pins: eg the 16610 didn’t, but 116610 does (same for 14060 and 114060). This isn’t a bulletproof point, as there are some “old“ 6 digit Rolexes that don’t feature ceramic pins (114270 comes to mind), but it’s generally the case for 6 digit Rolexes with scrambled serials.

As an aside, it’s worth noting that services like Rolliworks will replace the old pins resulting in stretched links in models like the 18238. I’ve seen some really incredible before/after photos of their work, though I have seen one concerning one where the pin was clearly visible and the link not properly reinstalled, as well. Nonetheless, they have a great reputation over at TRF.

If you do decide to use a service like Rolliworks (there’s at least one other company out there that does it), I suggest counting all of your links and testing them to confirm they’re 18k gold after your bracelet is returned. One of the companies that replaced the pins (not Rolliworks) outsourced their jobs to an overseas location where the cost of labor was cheaper. With so many hands the watch passes through, anything can happen. I once spoke to the eBay salesperson for a pawn shop who sold a Rolex Day Date overseas, had the watch returned, and it had a missing link they didn’t pick up on for months (at which point it was too late for recourse); and have heard of counterfeit links being replaced onto previously authentic Day-Date bracelets during returns, as well. I’ve heard of no such issues with these companies replacing pins in bracelets, but figured it was worth sharing.

Cheers if anyone more knowledgeable comes along with better info.

Happy hunting!

wsfarrell and guaranteed.rohu like this.
  3. guaranteed.rohu Nov 1, 2020

Thanks for the detailed response - good to know!!

Aprreciate the help.

4. Sublime_1 Nov 5, 2020

I've heard that all the new gold models have ceramic pins...is this true?