Forums Latest Members

Question To My Ol' Friends... The 15k Watch Conundrum

1. Tom_Hanx Feb 14, 2013

I have been exchanging a few words with the guy who runs your twitter account and as soon as the 'dinkee blog posted on your UG section (thank you, LouS) I knew I had to come by and say hi... Dennis, hope this thread gives you a proper challenge with the 41mm limitation ;)

So, as some may have seen, I already posted this in another forum and got limited feedback. I am very curious what you guys have to say on this topic..

I have halted all watch purchases and the resulting savings are amazing. [​IMG] Naaah, not what I wish to share [​IMG]

For over a year now, I have totally changed my approach to spending money on watches. It was a hard lesson for me, after lusting a Amvox1 forever - I finally acquired a NOS piece and then felt like it was *not* the grail I anticipated it to be... Whole new experience for me, but it made me stop and regroup -- if I fixate on a watch now, I keep it on the back burner for min 3 months to see if by then it is still the lusted piece (the only grail that ever was is a ALS Zeitwerk - but this will never be, super expensive)...

Last year was a BIG year on many levels - personal, family, work, friends... so I decided to reward myself with a special piece, above my usual spending limits.

I have a Zenith Charles Vermont 36000 and a Nomos Zurich which I will keep. All other watches, including the Amvox1 will be moving on to partially finance my next "keeper"

The "keeper" candidate for now is the AP RO 15400ST, as it ticks those boxes for me:
    - well recognized/recognizable = iconic Genta design
    - thin = under 10mm case, sits very well on the wrist
    - my sweetspot size = 41mm. I wear 40-42mm watches and feel well there.
    - clean design = minimalistic with play of brushed/polished surfaces
    - versatile = can be dressed up or down, depending on occasion
    - has date (not a deal breaker but nice to have)
    - is under 15k (AD discounted)
    - has been around for 40 years, chances are it will be after another 40...

Image from Hodinkee
    [​IMG]

Why I write this - before succumbing to the allure and buying one, I wish to know I have explored all alternatives. The most obvious one is the PP 5167 or 5711 - either way, these are a healthy 8-9k more expensive than the AP 15400ST and into a 20k+ realm which I cannot see myself crossing unless I win the lottery (gosh, even then will be hard).

If you were on the market for a <$15k piece, what would you consider next to the AP RO 15400? I really wish to have *one* good watch and not buy A+B+C+D+beer, so I would be very thankful if you propose single watches in this range instead of multiple watches.

So, what is your take on this one? Thank you :thumbsup:

2. ulackfocus Feb 14, 2013

Hi dude! Where ya been? Congrats on everything going your way - it's nice when that happens.

While that isn't in my comfort zone, and I'm not big on the RO look, it is a nice watch. I've tried on the smaller version with the annual calendar (dark blue dial) and liked the way it fit. If you're asking for a watch in the same price bracket, I'd recommend checking out the AL&S Saxonia line - but I like a little dressier watch.

3. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 14, 2013

I love the RO line a lot, but the difficulty I have with the 15400 is that the proportion of bezel to dial and the date location are different from Genta's original design. The 15202/15300 would be where I'd go tbh

4. 124watchfan Feb 14, 2013

Not a huge fan of the AP but they are nice. I am very partial to GO. A beauty IMO. $12g or so.

[​IMG]

5. Tom_Hanx Feb 15, 2013

Hi Dennis, thank you for the kind welcome (back)... I have been busy at work more than ever and the year was full of new nephews, nieces, weddings... this is why I am yet to write anything on SIHH or GTE...

I love ALS and would kill to own one of theirs -- my age old issue with Saxonia is that, the 39.7mm models are seldom on sale second hand and they are the only ones within my budget and within my size criteria... Dressier is alright otherwise...

dsio - if only there was a no-date 15400.. I hear you, loud and clear!

124watchfan - this particular design makes the GO an obvious ALS wanna-be but it would be fair to say that I have given the panorama date 70s some flirty winks....

[​IMG]

6. ulackfocus Feb 15, 2013

Kal, that 70's GO has a blue dial version that's killer! Tried it on in Florida a year or so ago - too big for me at 40 mm (TV case watches wear MUCH bigger and have more surface area than an equivalent width round watch) but I bet it would be perfect for you.

7. Tom_Hanx Feb 15, 2013

I am yet to try it myself, and perhaps will opt for the grey dial (already have a Charles Vermont blue dial). The thing is - with AP it would be easy for me to find 30% off - good connections and a sea of AD/retailers. Not so with GO, so I am a bit concerned if this will be possible. LuxuryBazaar has them but never did business there...

8. ulackfocus Feb 15, 2013

I have. Roman and Anna are very pleasant to deal with and really reasonable.