Forums Latest Members

Question re: polishing, sport vs dress watches?

1. wkimmd Jul 28, 2017

I think the community, in general, agrees that for vintage sport watches - whether it be Premoon Speedys or meters-forst Rolex Subs or whatever else - an unpolished case is desirable, and the market will pay a premium for them. Thick, sharp, beefy lugs, original chamfers - all make us feel good about ourselves.

But how about for dress watches, like a vintage Patek Calatrava, as an example? These are meant to be worn in more formal situations, where scratches and dings might not be as desirable. Would a light polish (I am not talking about overpolished watches here, people) to "bring out the shine" diminish the value of an otherwise desirable piece??

2. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Jul 28, 2017

I suspect anything aggressive enough to remove factory bevels, brushing, etc. will diminish the value to collectors. So you just need to weigh your personal pleasure/ satisfaction against that of diminished value. Cost/ benefit analysis on something like this is very individual.

Edited Jul 28, 2017
    Foo2rama, wkimmd and abrod520 like this.
  3. Interstatetime Jul 28, 2017

What you do with a mechanical buffer or even with a buffing cloth cannot...ever...be undone. If you have a watch with original sharp factory edges and you polish it in any way you are doing irreversible damage.

Having said that if we are talking about a common gold Omega or Longines which has had a good life and has already been polished don't worry about it. But, if you are talking about a Patek or something scarce which still has the original finish with some scratches...DON'T DO IT.

JohnCote

Foo2rama and wkimmd like this.
  4. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 28, 2017

Except in rare instants dress watches should not get scratched/damaged enough to need buffing.
    That's what you have tool or casual watches for.

5. Tik-Tok of Oz Jul 28, 2017

I have a polished but not brutally polished 521 movement Connie that I will hand polish. What's done is done. I've decided not to polish or replace the hesalite crystal on my grandfathers bumper automatic omega for sentimental reasons mostly. Even though its condition shows the watch was a daily wearer, it's not going anywhere so why erase the past for no reason.

If I were buying the bumper automatic for fair market value you might downgrade for condition of the case and crystal.
    IMG_1979.JPG
    IMG_0819.JPG IMG_1952.JPG

wkimmd likes this.
  6. No.15 Jul 28, 2017

So what about cleaning? How would one go about giving a watch a good cleaning without damaging it? Just a soft cloth or are there some cleaning solutions that can be used? I ask because I have some old dirty watches but I am terrified to damage the case in anyway :)

7. Tik-Tok of Oz Jul 28, 2017

I've used a soft cloth sometimes just by hand. I use Pollywatch to buff out light scratches in the hesalite crystal of my modern Speedmaster. But otherwise I don't use any cleaners on my watches.

I was told by much much more seasoned hands than I to not clean the dial or replace hands, or as noted above, polish mechanically. I agree with @cicindela that a Patek or even a solid gold day date Rolex should be more of a safe queen than a daily driver.

wkimmd likes this.
  8. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jul 28, 2017

+1

Tik-Tok of Oz likes this.
  9. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jul 28, 2017

Cotton tip with some water and a bit of dishwashing liquid

Also when buying dress watches...............

It helps if your mindful that a 60yo dress watch in 18k will not always look as crisp as a similar watch in SS. The gold may look polished but not always.
    Dog leg connies are a prime example of this rule

wkimmd and Peemacgee like this.