Forums Latest Members
  1. Horologist Oct 9, 2017

Greetings!!!
    I have been reading up on how gold filled cases were actually made differently from electroplating methods. There is also heavy electroplating such as 80 microns which were used on vintage Omegas as well as other brands such as Longines etc.. Gold capping onto stainless steel is another method where a gold sheet was welded onto Stainless steel - which was a very difficult process.

My question to those that have had more experience with this area, is there some literature or link which mentions the different thickness of gold sheets that sandwiched a base metal in their gold filled cases? I know that some gold filled cases were referenced by years where a case was guarenteed to maintain it's gold for !0 years, 15 years and even 25 years which were stamped inside the case backs. Does anyone know what maximun thickness Omega used for 14k gold filled cases in their U.S vintage cases? Thanks in advance

2. adi4 Oct 9, 2017

3. Horologist Oct 9, 2017

Thanks for your response with the added link.!!!! Interesting reading as a link opens a door to many other links. Before I had a software melt down, I had a world of literature on this, There was a link to a site created by a vintage Omega affacinado 'Frank Nikolajsen at warpspace which had lots of information on the different gauges of gold used for gold filling in addition to the history and methods of gold capping. Unfortunately the link on this subject no longer exists. I was hoping that someone had a similar literature guide. Your assistance was greatly apprecated!!!

4. rcs914 Oct 9, 2017

If you still have the link, there may be something at archive.org

5. Horologist Oct 10, 2017

I wished that I did!! At the time it was easy to find by just typing into google his name and warp space ? He had some nice images as well!! Hopefully someone may have the page stored on a floppy disk. LOL!!