Forums Latest Members
  1. florianw Apr 17, 2013

Hi folks,

I am new to this forum and would like to ask for some advice on my Speedy. It is a ref. 2998-6 with nice tropical brown dial. Movement # is 19583267. Now I have read in some books that the dials of that time have a kind round ledge close to the minute marks. Only later dials of the Speedmaster professional are flat.

I am missing the ledge on my watch but I have no idea if it is correct for the watch or not. Do you have any idea?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Etp095 and NiklasARvid like this.
  2. ulackfocus Apr 17, 2013

The crystal's silver retaining ring is probably hiding the edge of the dial.

Spacefruit likes this.
  3. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Apr 17, 2013

That dial looks like it belongs to the 2998-1 and -2 variants rather to the -6. I say this for a number of reason - it is a domed rather than a stepped dial, the hash marks in the minute subdial feature the short minute and elongated 5 minute marks characteristic of these earlier dials and it is a tropical dial which is usually seen in the -1 and -2 dials. This is one of those rare instances where the incorrect dial is actually an earlier one and IMO actually increases the value of the watch.

And the hands are correct for the -6 though the sweep seconds hand and the subdial hands look to be later replacements (but correct in style).

4. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 17, 2013

Welcome Florian nice to have you here. Great watch, I have a 2998 and I love yours.:thumbsup:

5. pitpro Likes the game. Apr 17, 2013

I agree, this looks to be a Mk.1 dial, used in 2998-1, and 2998-2.
    Now just find a 2998-1,2 with incorrect Stepped Mk.2 dial and swap them
    for much increased value for both.:)
    Mike,should the 2998-6 have triangle lume in the Hour hand
    instead of Rectangle?

6. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Apr 17, 2013

AFAIK either rectangle or triangle lume is correct for all the 2998 versions - don't know that to be a distinguishing mark between the various subreferences.

7. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 17, 2013

Mike did you mean to say the chrono sweep hand is a replacement , not the minute hand?

8. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Apr 17, 2013

Yes have edited my post.

9. pitpro Likes the game. Apr 17, 2013

cicindela likes this.
  10. BASE1000 Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Apr 17, 2013

Very nice dial indeed :thumbsup: I rather tend to 2998-1 than 2998-2, as the -2's I have seen all showed a very slight step. But I might be wrong.

The crown looks like a newer replacement as well second central second but it should be easy to find a vintage hand and crown so fare. Concering the movement number, a 19.xxx.xxx is pretty high but not totally unlikely.

11. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Apr 17, 2013

I would agree with BASE1000 on the movement number BUT because the dial is already incorrect for the case then I personally would have some doubt on the movement but it is still in the correct range.

cicindela and BASE1000 like this.
  12. florianw Apr 18, 2013

Hi guys,

this is an overload of information, lol. Thank you for that!

If I recap the infomation, my watch is a 2998-6 with a movement whis is eventually a little bit late for that case, it has an earlier dial but the correct hands for a 2998-6, it has a later replacement cown and maybe the wrong sweep second hand.

I am actually a Rolex collector and there we have the case number engraved in the case which makes it easy to date the wach. With Omegas there are movement numbers only. Is it possible that my watch is a earlier case with a later movement? Is there any difference in the cases of 2998-1 and 2998-6? I am still somehow confused....

here are some more scans.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

When I bought the watch last year it came with other hands. After checking some details I found out that those hands must be later replacements becuase they are too short and too narrow. Therefore I have sourced the hour/minute hands on the pics above. Do you think I was right on that?

[​IMG]

Etp095 likes this.
  13. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 18, 2013

Have to say, that is some truly spectacular photography, you have a genuine talent for capturing watches in a way that makes them seem like objects of fantasy. That last one especially!

14. florianw Apr 18, 2013

Thank you. But the last 3 photos were made by a collector friend of mine who sold me the watch. He is doing wonderful shots of watches.

15. florianw Apr 18, 2013

16. BASE1000 Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Apr 18, 2013

The case within the 2998 series are similar. There are differences compared with the earlier 2915 and the later 105.003 straight lug cases.

As MSN mentioned there is no guarantee, that the case left the factory with this 19.xxx.xxx movement. However you never have that guarantee with those old Speedies so it makes not too big sense to hunt a certain movement number as long as it is within the possible range. The Omega museum acknowledged that the production in those times were outside Omega factory done by Lémania at Oriènt and that there are no records about which movement was built to which case. It is even reported that a huge bunch of movements have been produced on stock for several years and were just fitted to the case that came along the production line. Nobody expected crazy collectors to wonder one day, if a certain movement was fitted in this or that case.

Your new old hands are definitly the better choice compared to the ones you had before. They look correct to what can be seen.

florianw likes this.
  17. florianw Apr 18, 2013

Thx a lot, Base. That´s a very reasonable point of view. So I will just look out for a correct crown and maybe for a straight sweep second hand as my spear tip hand is glowing like hell and must be a later replacement.

18. pitpro Likes the game. Apr 18, 2013

florian-hi
    yu should go read this work a guy put together
    then decide what u want to do. I set the link up for
    English translation, but you can change it.
    hope this helps you
    http://translate.google.com/transla...a=X&ei=ZilWUe3bNoWQyQH67IDgDA&ved=0CFMQ7gEwAg

19. florianw Apr 19, 2013

hi pitpro,

thx for the link. it is a great report with so many details. very helpful, ideed.

is there anything comparable existing for the early Seamaster 300 models of the 50ies and 60ies?

20. pitpro Likes the game. Apr 19, 2013