Forums Latest Members

Question on gold Omega Constellation Quartz 1333, could be rare

1. Martin4702 Sep 4, 2019

I recently inherited the Omega Constellation Quartz watch pictured here. I went to a watch repair store to get it checked out, and it was confirmed that the whole thing is 18k gold. (The bracelet number is 398.0856.) After doing some research online, it looks like a 1333 model from the late 70s or early 80s, though it doesn't seem like many of these were made in all gold.

I'm not attached to it, but not sure what to do with it. It runs, but needs to be fixed since the date doesn't turn over and the clock isn't consistently keeping time. I'd be happy to sell it just for the gold, but not sure what type of money this could get me. (The watch guy guessed $1,500 at the low end.)

Any advice, insights or guidance? Should I try to get it fixed and sell it as a watch, or is there not enough of a market for this model? And if I did, what's a reasonable price to ask? Or is the best bet to just sell it for gold? Is the watch guy right on what I could get for that?

Thanks!

IMG_4015.JPG IMG_4016.JPG
  2. shaun hk Fairy nuffer Sep 4, 2019

Not much of a market for these as a watch so it comes down to melt value. I would imagine a pawn shop would give you the price per gram once the movement has been removed.

Mark020 likes this.
  3. webvan Sep 4, 2019

The movement can't weigh very much so you can just weigh it to get a ballpark value.
    I'm a sucker for Quartz Omegas but sorry to say this one doesn't press too many buttons. It must be pretty narrow too, 32 mm ?

4. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Sep 4, 2019

I suspect most of the gold weight will be in the bracelet. I would not expect more than $1,500, and maybe closer to $1,200.

I would get some quotes for the gold, and then try to sell it whole for that much or slightly more. Gold-dialed watches are not all that common, so there may be someone out there who would be happy to own if it hey could buy it at/ near melt value.

5. webvan Sep 5, 2019

Actually the dial on this one does not appear to be solid gold (no OM markings).

6. padders Oooo subtitles! Sep 5, 2019

If its not working right then its worth scrap value. Fixing the 70s quartz movements isn't easy or cheap and parts aren't widely avaialble. You might find a donor movement but I am not sure it would be worth the outlay. Find a reliable gold buyer and scrap it. The movement, dial and crystal may add up to more than you think, 15g plus maybe so don't assume you will get the full weight in value.

Edited Sep 9, 2019
    lillatroll likes this.
  7. Walviskroket Sep 9, 2019

Keep the watch since gold prices will stay rising :)

8. Pierre1333 Jun 19, 2020

Hi, if you still have it, i am interested in buying thé watch.