Forums Latest Members
  1. lowertc Mar 10, 2017

I am watching this watch, Does the dial look ok for the style, is all correct parts is it retouched? the more info you can provide the better , Asking 530 this is the description
    JUST COMPLETED SERVICE. TRULY COLLECTABLE RARE TO FIND IN THIS EXCELLENT ALL ORIGINAL CONDITION VINTAGE 1962 MEN REF. MODEL 4774 OMEGA AUTOMATIC ORIGINAL FACTORY SILVER FINISHED DIAL ALL EXCELLENT HEAVY DUTY ALL STAINLESS SCREW BACK OMEGA SIGNED CASE. QUALITY 17 JEWELS AUTOMATIC MOVEMENT WRIST WATCH. OMEGA MOVEMENT WAS COMPLETED SERVICE, RUNNING IN FULL POWER AND TESTED FOR OVER 24 HOURS KEEPING EXCELLENT TIME.(caliber OMEGA 550 QUALITY SWISS SHOCK RESISTANT, POLISH CASE, WITH ORIGINAL WINDING CROWN. excellent original polished plastic crystal. Timed & oiled,

omega2.jpg omega1.jpg
  2. alam Mar 10, 2017

is that a normal (thickness) appearance/shape for a crown stem???

::confused2::

Screen Shot 2017-03-10 at 9.25.07 PM.png
    Edited Mar 10, 2017
    ChrisN, cicindela, oddboy and 2 others like this.
  3. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Mar 10, 2017

What are your concerns? Need a shot of the inside of the caseback.

4. lowertc Mar 10, 2017

new to the vintage watch buying? just want to check on quality of watches i am looking at

omega3.jpg omega4.jpg
  5. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Mar 10, 2017

It's real. Some water damage from 3-6 on the dial. You should have enough info to check past sales of similar watches on eBay.

6. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Mar 10, 2017

And a shagged rotor bushing that will need replacing if you can find one, or else a watchmaker needs to order a new rotor and broach it to fit.

$$$

Edited Mar 10, 2017
  7. Davidt Mar 11, 2017

You sound extremely new to this game. Unless your willing to put your faith in online/eBay sellers, I'd strongly recommend doing some of your own reading/research to help you know what to look for.

8. lowertc Mar 11, 2017

Yes i am new Thank you all for the help, you you more trust a seller here on the forum, Private or otherwise? I also have a watch dealer local that sells some vintage might stick with him. http://www.piecesoftime.net/

9. lowertc Mar 13, 2017

one more to check, I believe all numbers check this 1962/63, the 562 was put in that year i believe, But what do you all think of the dial? its an auction so what really would be a good price to pay for this? has omega strap/box and a omega clasp.

conni 1.jpg conni  2.jpg conni 3.jpg
  10. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Mar 13, 2017

Everything you want to learn about Constellations.
    http://omega-constellation-collectors.blogspot.com/

11. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Mar 13, 2017

Redial
    Polished case
    Wrong movement
    Run away

Spacefruit and Edward53 like this.
  12. lowertc Mar 14, 2017

Thank you, i did do some research on the Movement and found some information that omega did put some 562 in the constellation, What is the best way for me to tell if a redial was done in my future search? what would a polished case tell me?

13. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Mar 14, 2017

There is one line in a movement chart that suggests that a chronometer rated 562 may have been used in a Connie
    -but no-one has ever seen one to my knowledge
    (The one in your post is a standard 562 as it doesn't have the 'adjusted 5 times' on the bridge )
    Hope that helps

14. Edward53 Mar 14, 2017

The only way to tell a redial is to look at and compare original dials and refinished dials. Lots of them. And I really do mean lots, and lots, and lots, and lots, and lots, and lots and - but you get the idea. Then you'll learn what the script should look like, how to spot heavy/misaligned crosshairs, wonky/misaligned minute markers, and generally how an original-finish dial should look, which is the most difficult part of the lot. It's called getting your eye in. One easy tip is that 95% of black dials are redials. Also case references and dials should match movement numbers. Forget about 562s in Constellations as it just doesn't happen, they are 561s or 564s. There you are, that's all the information you need, now get busy studying!

15. ahartfie The black sheep in the Spee-ee-eee-eedmaster flock Mar 14, 2017

16. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Mar 14, 2017

Sorry I didn't read the rest of your post about the dial and case
    This one is quite nicely done and a 'noob' could be forgiven for thinking it was okay
    Tell tales:
    Font too heavily serifed for the era
    (Too heavily serifed altogether anyway)
    The Ms should be the same on this reference
    Be suspicious with anything saying Meister until proven correct (which itself is badly printed)
    'Swiss made' badly printed

A polished case simply reduces collectibility/value
    Edges of the lugs should be sharp with a slight bevel

BTW the hands are wrong too
    Should be lumed not black inserts

A .004 should have a 561 (but might have a 564 but I haven't seen one)
    A .010 should have a 564 (but might have a 561 but again I haven't seen one)

Study Desmond's blog for font styles
    And the show and tell thread on the forum

I have a bit of a thing for these hidden crown dome dials so can understand why you might want one
    Still reasonably priced too but rising
    Good luck with your hunt!