Forums Latest Members

Question on 3570.40 (Japanese Moon Watch)

1. cvrle1 Aug 16, 2016

I had a chance to BIN a 3570.40 moon watch for $3200 or so, but just couldnt do it as it is hard to figure out what the prices are like for these.

I know they are "rare" and "limited editions" so prices are all over the place, but what is a fair price for one of these? I did send Omega an email wit serial #, and they confirmed it is actual Japan market watch, and not 3570.50 with Japan dial and hands (which seems to be the case for quite a few watches from what I read)

I am somehow thinking that I made a mistake of not getting it at this price, but wanted to check with more knowledgeable folks.

Thanks

PS: Would this watch be considered a vintage? I guess not since it came out in 04. Wasnt sure if I should post here or in Modern section :)

watchcollect likes this.
  2. tpatta Happily spending my daughter’s inheritance Aug 16, 2016

If it indeed was a 3570.40 you missed out on a pretty good deal. The last 3 that have come up here sold in the low 4K range with box and papers.

fzhu052 and cvrle1 like this.
  3. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Aug 16, 2016

That price sounds like a modded one, but great for a real one. It would cost about that much to build one with a real dial.

tpatta likes this.
  4. arcadelt Aug 16, 2016

That would have been a very good price for one that was confirmed as real by Omega. As you have rightly identified, the current demand and consequential rising prices is bringing out many modified 3570.50s passed off as 3570.40s to fraudulently cash in on the extra money. Be careful out there, and as they say, buy the seller.

cvrle1 and tpatta like this.
  5. cvrle1 Aug 16, 2016

Thanks everyone for the responses so far. I was afraid that I missed out on a good price, but it is what it is. There will be others sooner or later. It's not small amount of money to just spend, so there is that too.

6. ulackfocus Aug 16, 2016

The Japanese never went to the moon. :rolleyes: That might be the one thing they haven't copied and improved yet.

Meme-Dweller likes this.
  7. Ravineman Aug 16, 2016

That you know of ....

ulackfocus likes this.
  8. Interstellar Aug 16, 2016

As a rule of thumb, i would never buy one without the complete set : box and card with Jap retailers' stamps. Too many modded ones out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. arcadelt Aug 16, 2016

I don't mean to scare anyone, but do you mean a box set like this:

[​IMG]

...and a warranty card like thisPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network (of course, waiting to pick one up on eBay with the right country code):

[​IMG]

A jewellers stamp only needs to be a sticker like this, which can be made up on any computer, and the jeweller information is readily available from Google:

[​IMG]

Personally, I wouldn't be buying one unless I had sought verification from Omega that the serial number of the watch can be reference to the model number 35704000.

cvrle1 likes this.
  10. Interstellar Aug 16, 2016

As long as the card is filled in by a Jap OB/retailer with the right ref number,all is good.

I've seen a few with blank unfilled cards as well, playing the devil's advocate, i always have the notion that they could be mods.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. cvrle1 Aug 16, 2016

I was thinking the same thing. Saw so many of these sets on ebay for cheap, doesnt really guarantee much. For the specific watch i did get confirmation from Omega that serial is a match to 3570.40. Just didnt have that one last nudge to push me over the ledge to BIN it.

12. billyblue Aug 17, 2016

You definitely don't see many of these around...

13. cvrle1 Aug 28, 2016

I didnt want to start a new thread on same watch. so I will just use this one as a tie in.

I know that these are considered "limited" (only 2004 made) and were available in Japan only. I got the idea of going price, but what I was wondering is, would they be considered a good buy in general, even at going prices currently? of course I am asking about a real one, not 3570.50 with dial replaced to racing one.

I really like the look of them, but if I could choose between that or an older moon watch that would go for around same price, which one would you choose?

14. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Aug 28, 2016

What do you mean by good buy? Don't buy a watch expecting it to go up in value.

Most people think the Mitusuki(spelling) is a killer looking watch. Personally I was thinking about building one, but pretty sure I'll build a racing dial if the right donor comes along.

My advice get the one you would wear the most.

Davidt likes this.
  15. arcadelt Aug 28, 2016

I agree with @Foo2rama. Outside of the manufacturers and their network of distributors, I think making money from watches is a tough game that only a few who build connections over years can master. For the collector, unless you are in the realm of super-specialities or very high end commercially available watches, think of it as a hobby that will cost you.

Personally, I think the entire Speedmaster range is on a high at the moment, perhaps even tending toward a bubble. There are many reasons for this, some of which point to sustainability of those prices, but others that do not. The 3570.40, like some of the other limited editions and special Speedmasters, are at the vanguard of that rise, so could be the ones likely to fall hardest if it is a bubble and it bursts. Unfortunately, only time will tell.

...and then there is the issue of authenticity. The problem with the 3570.40 is that the only difference between it and a 3570.50 is the dial and three of the hands - no other special markings designating it as something special - so it is easy to fake.

Edited Aug 28, 2016
  16. kov Trüffelschwein. Aug 28, 2016

Can't totally agree with this. Both I own are in the range 7712XXXX to 7713XXXX, used this as filter and dropped out a lot of 3570.50 candidates. Omega can easily confirm based on the serial.

Other thing - buy from the forum members ! Authentic 3570.40 pop up here FS time to time ;)

fibonacci086 likes this.
  17. uwsearch Aug 28, 2016

One of mine is 77128XXX sold in Japan in june 2004, but the other one is 29609XXX and sold in May 1970 in Switzerland what's wrong with it?

20160306_164909s.JPG

18. arcadelt Aug 28, 2016

I will state up front that I am no expert in this at all; however, while I agree that their serial numbers are within a window, as I understand it they were not built from a discrete block of numbers. Also, getting Omega to authenticate is very much dependent on where your enquiry ends up. In Australia at least, they are somewhat unwilling to authenticate any watch unless they can see it, and they are not entirely helpful in getting your query to someone who might be willing and able to provide an answer. When you are in the throws of a deal, delay can mean you miss out. Of course, as always, YMMV.

19. arcadelt Aug 28, 2016

Lucky you, a very nice pair!

20. kov Trüffelschwein. Aug 28, 2016

Nothing is wrong, and I would even say the vintage bracelet looks good on the 3570.40 :whistling:

You've got a jackpot with the left one :thumbsup:

Noelito likes this.