Forums Latest Members
  1. PHPHD Oct 21, 2015

Hi,

I'm sort of new to the vintage Longines world - I'm wondering if anyone had thoughts on this piece?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The case numbers match the movement, though there are a few more things I'm concerned with, amongst the fact that this listing has been around since ~2012.

1) A medical dial in a military case? It reminds me of the romanian air force case that Christies auctioned off a while back, but that was a black dial. Yet the serial numbers sort of coincide with the romanian ones.
    2) The thing that looks right is, the fonts and print seem to match other medical Longines 13zn dials that came up on the net (attached).
    3) Hands are obviously relumed, and I can't seem to tell what the dial's original color was? Could it be a serious 'patina-ed' white?

Would love to hear any experts' thoughts on this piece.

Thanks

longines.png lista_4.jpg
  2. Fer Seamaster Oct 22, 2015

I am not a Longines expert (in fact, I am not an expert on anything), but, for me, it is clear movement and case are legit. Hands I think are a replacement, not simply relumed, but I am not sure. What makes my eye suspect a lot is crystal and bezel, which a have a condition wich does not match the condition of either the case or the pushers, which are much more worn. I tend to think crystal and bezel are a later replacement.

3. PHPHD Oct 22, 2015

I see - thanks! Any idea on the dial? I've never seen another dial like this and that both excites me and freaks me out.

4. minutenrohr Oct 23, 2015

I also remember, that this watch is offered since 2012 (or earlier). 1st it has been in unrestored state (i saved the pics and can send them to anyone who wants to have them - or post them here), later, when nobody had any interest, the seller "restored" it a bit. Hands could be OK, should be lume-type as they are - not sure about the one on the minute-counter. Case- and movement-numbers are the same; also correct. Nobody knows, what happened to that watch since 1936/37. I think it could be original, but in the moment, it´s too expensive, because it´s not in a really good state (soldered) and rather small. Over the years there have been some "romanians" on the market. Mostly redials, but if not, they were black. anyway it is possible, that this (unrestored imo - the feet are coppered, not silvered as on the most redials and the printing looks nice) dial has been mounted by Longines. The case is not necessarily a "military" one. It´s not in the range of the romanian airforce-list(s), but a bit later.

rgds - h.u.

Edited Oct 23, 2015
  5. minutenrohr Oct 23, 2015

...oops - i have not seen the pics of "now" + "before", the seller offers on the ebay-page...

6. PHPHD Oct 23, 2015

Thanks for the comments, much appreciated! Just so I understand what you mean, what are you referring to when you say the 'feet' are coppered?

Also, quick question on the serial number: the serial number is something like 5457596 - I see that between 196 and 197 on the Romanian list of serials. I'm just wondering if Longines sort of made their cases in that manner, i.e. for an entire xx number of serials we'll make our case/movement in this particular mold.

7. minutenrohr Oct 24, 2015

hi,

[​IMG]
    The Longines-dials were (usually) made by STERN FRERES S.A. and they didn´t silver the feet. One of the feet is visible near the balance (see pics), so you can check, if it´s silvered or coppered. Silvered means mostly "redial".
    I don´t know why there is such a high number between the 3xx and 4xx - perhaps a mistake? This small and un-military type is wrong between the others on the list.
    Normally watch companies did not produce cases by themselves. I suppose they called a casemaker company (Huguenin f.e.) and said: "Please 200 cases, acier inox, 34mm, hinge-back, etc.".Then they assembled series of watches and stamped the matching numbers on cases and movements.

I hope I get it right; english is not my first language...

rgds - h.u.

8. PHPHD Oct 24, 2015

I see - this is very helpful - thanks!:thumbsup:

9. Eric_navi Oct 24, 2015

Very interesting. Question:
    If the feet are silver do you mean it is a replacement dial? If an original dial was redone, wouldn't the feet still be coppered? Please clarify. Thanks.

10. minutenrohr Oct 25, 2015

I never saw a dial with copper (I think "coppered" is uncorrect - my fault...) feet, that was redone. But almost all dials I identified as redone, have silvered feet. BTW: The idea came from A. Davidoni of "Longinespassion" (offline now - unfortunately).
    But that´s only one point on the list I work with, when i´m buying a watch. As anyone here knows (?), you have to look for open 6 + 9, for the edges of the counters, the printing, the radium, the colours, the silver tone, the rear side, the state of the movement (does it match with the state of the dial?),(...).
    And I ask friends.
    I believe If all that is considered, one can be sure around 90 percent.

rgds - h.u.