Forums Latest Members

Question/Help identifying Vintage 14k Gold Filled retangular watch

1. meinare Feb 7, 2015

Can anybody please offer any information on this watch? It was my Grandfathers and hence believe it dates back to at least 1950/1960. Only markings on the back case have a 6 in a circle like (6) and the words 14k Gold Filled. Thank you,

Vintage Omega Back.JPG Vintage Omega Front Closeup.JPG Vintage Omega Back.JPG Vintage Omega Side.JPG
  2. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Feb 7, 2015

America market watch ca 1951/52 and should have a caliber 302 17-jewel movement.

Many different dial styles were offered.

Here is another one.

IMG_5111.JPG IMG_5105.JPG

3. meinare Feb 7, 2015

********** ADDITIONAL FRONT PHOTO, REALIZED I PUT THE BACK TWICE********
    Vintage Omega Front.JPG

4. meinare Feb 7, 2015

Thank you so much X350 XJR, much appreciated. Mine doesn't appear to be close to the condition of the other two photos, but would you have any idea in what general range his would be valued at??

5. JamesG Apr 16, 2018

Hello
    New member here. I recently got an Omega watch which looks exactly as those in the original post here. It is gold filled, square and has the similar second hand movement. I don't have pictures right now, it is with a watch repair store (reputable). The watch was a present from my mother to my father on their wedding day in 1964 so it obviously has a lot of sentimental value. The finish is in rough shape, similar if not a little rougher than the watch here. I am not fooling myself into thinking it will ever look great again, but it still does run, though the pin pulls all the way out and the time can't be set. It does wind though and all hand movement seems to be working correctly.

I have an estimate to get it mechanically restored, which includes the following:
    "Complete Service of Mechanical Movement which entails:  Remove bracelet from case and open case to remove movement  Complete disassembly of movement including dial and hands  Ultrasonic cleaning of movement parts  Re-assemble of movement part  Adjustment and lubrication  Install dial, hands and movement back into case  Replace all gaskets  Restoration of water resistance, where applicable  Reattach bracelet/strap and adjust clasp  Demagnetize the mechanical movement.  Setting of correct time , monitor and regulate  Review by Quality Control to ensure watch is functioning according to factory specifications The dial is faded, spotted, scratched or damaged. The crystal is scratched, chipped and/or cracked. The crown is damaged/worn. The hands are bent, scratched, worn or damaged.

Due to the finish and condition of the case and bracelet this watch cannot be polished or refinished. It will be ultrasonically cleaned and existing blemishes will remain visible."

The price for this Service is $680. I was hoping for something closer to half of that. Anyone have an opinion on whether this is a realistic price? I know the watch isn't worth this much money, but once again, it is the sentimental value.

I am in the New York area. Thanks in advance.