Forums Latest Members

Question for Watchmakers: Opening up the sleeve diameter on an hour hand

1. w154 Feb 13, 2017

I have a problem with a handset for a vintage watch. Everything seems fine apart from the hour hand, which has been measured as 120 whilst the movement spindle is 145. I know it's possible to open up the sleeve diameter on a hand, but I don't know what level of change is possible. Could anyone here estimate whether going from 120 to 145 should be a) fine, b) borderline, with a risk of splitting the sleeve, or c) completely impossible and stupid to try.

I will take all the risk, so don't worry if you say "a" and then I split it trying !

2. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 13, 2017

It depends on how thick the collar is - that is a large amount in my view, but might be possible if there is enough material available. You don't say what material the hands are made of, so some will be less likely to split than others.

Let us know how you make out...

3. Lukeeesteve Feb 13, 2017

Not understanding the scope of your project, Ive actually had hands that would not fit a replacement hour wheel. I ended up getting the watchmaker to turn the hour wheel down a little.

4. w154 Feb 13, 2017

Could be a good idea... the hands are like rocking horse poop, whilst the movement is extremely common.