Forums Latest Members

Question for the experts on parts exchange

1. slater529 Jun 1, 2018

I have an Omega Seamaster Polaris that I bought brand new back in 1987. It's been through a lot with me and has a great deal of sentimental value. A little over a year ago, the pin that attaches the bracelet to the case came out and was lost. When I took it in to get a new pin installed, the repairman pointed out that the hole in the case where the pin goes had some 'tear out' and he advised against putting in a new pin as it would just pull out again.

So anyway, I'm on the hunt for a replacement case with "good" bracelet pin holes, and transfer my movement and bracelet over to the replacement.

Today I found a Polaris Titane case with a broken 1430 movement being sold at a good price 'for parts or repair'. My question is this: Will my 1445 movement (from a SS Polaris) fit in a Titane Polaris case?

2. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jun 2, 2018

Please provide case numbers of both cases...

slater529 likes this.
  3. slater529 Jun 2, 2018

I'm afraid I don't know the case number of mine. I'll have to take somewhere and have it opened up. As for the the Titane... I contacted the seller and requested the number. His photo of the back cover wasn't readable.

Thanks for responding... I'll get back to you with the information as soon as I can!

4. Meme-Dweller Jun 2, 2018

How big is the chip/"tear out" on the inner lug hole? Pics? Maybe it could be repaired with some laser welding instead of needing an entire case replacement.

marco and slater529 like this.
  5. TDBK Jun 2, 2018

Is it viable to do laser welding to build up that location, then redrill a clean hole?

6. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jun 2, 2018

Yes as re drilling will make the bracelet line up wrong.

7. slater529 Jun 2, 2018

Here is a photo of the tear out...

TN-0941.jpg

The other side looks ok...

TN-0942.jpg

My watch...

TN-0943.jpg

Here is a photo of the Titane. I'm still waiting for the case number...

s-l1600.jpg

8. Meme-Dweller Jun 2, 2018

Wow, that looks like fatigue in the steel. A repair would work, but it'll likely happen again on the undamaged side, which looks like it's about to go too.

Edited Jun 2, 2018
  9. slater529 Jun 2, 2018

LOL... Like I said, it's been through a lot over the years. :(

10. Meme-Dweller Jun 2, 2018

I don't know if you are in the US, but if you are, you should contact Beau at LA Watchworks to see if they can do some laser welding magic on the lug. Might be more viable than getting a replacement case, especially one that may or may not be a direct fit

marco and slater529 like this.
  11. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Jun 2, 2018

Nice to see your love for a Polaris. As yours looks like steel/gold, and you are looking at a titanium/gold donor, unless it also comes with a titanium/gold bracelet, there is going to be a mismatch between the bracelet from your original and the donor case even if it's feasible to do a transplant.

Laser welding seems to be the best option unless you can get hold of a compatible steel/gold donor case.

*Edit* Given that I've no idea what the cost and feasibility of laser welding is likely to be, maybe it's time to retire your current Polaris and start breaking in a new one like this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Omega-Se...400508?hash=item3d666ca23c:g:HNwAAOSwcF1bB21OPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

Edited Jun 2, 2018
    slater529 likes this.
  12. slater529 Jun 2, 2018

I've been watching that one!

13. slater529 Jun 2, 2018

Update. I drove into town a little while ago and had my Polaris opened up. I found out that my movement is actually Cal 1440. There are two numbers inside the case: 396 1022 and 396 1222. I hope one of those is the case number.

The watchmaker I took it to was an old guy like me, and he said he was getting ready to close up shop and retire in the next few weeks. He looked at the tear out on my case lug and said he could probably make a new pin that would go all the way down to the bottom of the hole, and it should hold. He went on to say he'd just make two new pins, and do the other side at the same time. I asked how much that would cost, and he said about $15.00.

He figured he'd have it done sometime tomorrow... I'm STOKED!

(But not quite ready to buy the house a round of drinks just yet) :D

marco and Mouse_at_Large like this.
  14. marco Jun 3, 2018

This might not be be the best remedy but it is commendable.
    Laser is the way to go.
    Good luck my friend.

slater529 likes this.
  15. slater529 Jun 3, 2018

I have decided to forget about the Titane Polaris in my OP. The seller can't or won't provide me with the case number. So for now, I'm hoping the new custom pins will do the trick. Fingers crossed. I appreciate your recommendation @marco.