Forums Latest Members
  1. Varnado Jan 2, 2015

I am a new speedy owner coming from vintage Rolex and I have a question that not even my watchmaker can answer.

My movement was recently serviced and actually runs within 1 second +/- a day which is incredible. However, when I push the top chrono pusher and start the large second hand moving, after about 3 hours or so the entire watch will stop running. It is fully wound, it just stops. Everything stops, the hour, minute, second, subdials, all functions stop and freeze.

Once I push the reset button on the chrono, everything starts running again as it is supposed to and the large second hand remains at 12 o'clock as it is supposed to.

Is this how the movement is supposed to work? Can someone reading this hit their second hand chrono button and post back in the morning and see if it is still running or frozen like mine?

I've never seen anything like this and neither has my Omega trained watchmaker...

2. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Jan 2, 2015

calibre 861 or 321? kind regards. achim

3. Varnado Jan 2, 2015

My apologies, 321 Movement. That's my Speedy in my Avatar...

4. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Jan 2, 2015

Perhaps your watchmaker, while "Omega Trained" , is not experienced with adjusting a 321?

After all, I doubt it's a current requirement

5. Varnado Jan 2, 2015

He is a certified Omega technician and works on my 321 but, his facility is told to send 321's back to Switzerland for service. Regardless, the issue isnt with the service it is with the design of the movement and functionality. If anyone has a 321 movement speedy, hit the chrono button and go to sleep. See if the watch is running or stopped when you wake up. I betcha yours will stop too, by design I believe.

6. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Jan 2, 2015

I'm confused...you believe the Speedmaster 321 is designed to register up to 3 hours on its 12-hour dial? I assure you when I had one (several, actually) with the chronograph engaged, it continued to run until I stopped it, and it kept time accurately all the while.
    No disrespect to your watch maker, or your faith in his ability, but a qualified watch maker will be able to diagnose the movement in your example and advise the best course of action.

7. Poday Jan 3, 2015

This hypothesis makes little sense. First, as Time Exposure pointed out, there is a 12 hour register, not a 3 hour register. Second, if this was normal operation, it would be widely known (at least around these parts).

So, clearly something is wrong with your watch, and if your watchmaker suggests this is normal, I would suggest a new watchmaker.

8. Davidt Jan 3, 2015

I had this issue after mine was serviced so I sent it back. I was told it was simply adjusted incorrectly. My watchmaker made some minor changes and its been fine ever since.

It's one thing to adjust a watch slightly incorrectly, afterall these are precision instruments. But for you to be told that it's how the movement is designed is just ill informed and I'd be wary about using the chap again.

9. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jan 3, 2015

I betcha yours will stop too, by design I believe.

How much do you want to bet? $1 for every minute over 3hours

10. Varnado Jan 3, 2015

Guys, the watch repairman said he never saw anything like that before. I am the one who thought it could be by design. Clearly, based on your comments, there is something wrong and I will get it fixed. The curious part was that the watch was keeping absolutely perfect time apart from that issue, so I figured if it was an adjustment that some other time keeping anomaly would have also been seen. I was wrong. I will get it repaired and report back on this thread as to what was done in the event any other 321 speedy owner experiences the same issue at least he or she will know where to look. Thanks guys.

11. Davidt Jan 3, 2015

Yup mine was the same. Kept perfect time but stopped completely after several hours of the chrono running.

It was a quick fix once my watchmaker realised it needed some kind of adjustment.

12. Varnado Jan 3, 2015

Any chance you could ask your watchmaker what he did so I can eliminate the diagnosis problem with my watchmaker? THX

13. Davidt Jan 3, 2015

I've probably got it in an email somewhere. I'll try to dig it out.

14. Varnado Jan 3, 2015

That would be great and most helpful. Thank You.

15. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Jan 3, 2015

So, Omega dont trust him to work on 321's, (IE they do not consider him qualified) why do you?

16. Varnado Jan 3, 2015

spacefruit: For someone supposedly so knowledgeable in Omega either you arent so or you are a wise ass. The Omega boutique themselves send 321's back to Geneva. Are they not qualified to work on their own watches? Who would be more qualified than an Omega technician to work on one of their own watches? If they send them back to Geneva then that is what they choose to do. My watchmaker is Omega certified and 321's are nothing more than a very "common" movement that is found in many different model watches. Why they choose to send them back would only be speculation but, that is what they are told to do. My watchmaker works on mine voluntarily and does not work often on 321's so he is unfamiliar with them. I consider him qualified as he is A: An employed watchmaker at an Omega Store, B: Has Omega certifications hanging above his bench as well as other watchmaker certifications, C: has been working on all watches for over 20 years, D: has serviced my 321 and got it running to within +/- 1 second a day. If you can do better come over to my house and I'll hand you a 6 pack while you work for your troubles..

David: I thank you again for any emails or help you can share on this specific issue

17. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 3, 2015

I service 321's all the time and with the chronograph running they all run well past 3 hours mate. If your watchmaker can't diagnose the issue, find another watchmaker.

Cheers, Al

Geo!, lando, everestx and 2 others like this.
  18. Varnado Jan 3, 2015

Archer: we cross posted. I didnt say he couldnt diagnose the problem, I said he has never seen the problem before. I am confident if I leave it with him to experience the problem that he can and will repair it but, if another poster has the remedy for this issue it would make his life much easier as well as mine.

Since you are a qualified watchmaker could you please explain the condition and what is required to repair it? I would be most grateful as it is annoying to say the least.

Thank you in advance

19. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 3, 2015

In most cases there is no one single thing that is the only cause of a problem like this. With the very limited information given it could be a number of things (could even be as simple as hand interference). I have no idea what the quality of his work is - telling me that it keeps time to within 1 second a day does not tell me much to be honest. What is the balance amplitude like at full wind and after 24 hours? If the amplitude is very bad and not a lot of power is reaching the balance wheel, it could simply not have enough torque after 3 hours to overcome the load from the chronograph running - maybe the friction spring is set extremely tight. Without the watch in front of me, it's not possible to tell you for sure.

It seems you have not given your watchmaker a chance to diagnose it yet, is that right? If he is as good as you claim, he won't need my help. When he sees the watch he should be able to determine the problem - again if he can't, then get another watchmaker.

Cheers, Al

Geo! likes this.
  20. Varnado Jan 3, 2015

Archer thank you for your response. I am no watchmaker but, hand interference would happen immediately not after 3 hours, no? If the hands rub then they should rub continually, nothing I can think of would cause them to rotate at any different angle or arc after 3 hours or after 3 minutes, so I personally dont think that is the issue. (but, what do I know) The balance amplitude was excellent. I cannot recall what he told me but, he measured the watch in 4 different positions and he told me the amplitude was excellent in all positions. That was at full wind, I do not know if he measured it after 24 hours. As far as the torque, friction spring...I have no idea.

I will be bringing it to him within the next couple of hours and leaving it with him. I am hoping someone with their solution can chime in so I can give him some suggestions (Like Yours Archer, Thank You) but, I am certain that once it stops and he can open it up he will know what the solution is. I will certainly post back after I get the answer, hopefully today but, if not they are closed until Tuesday and I will respond then.

I hope the solution can help others who may one day experience the same anomaly.