Forums Latest Members

Question for S. African members

1. omegaaddict Nov 26, 2017

Hi all,

I’m heading to Cape Town in a few days for some vacation and I’ve been told by the people I’m visiting that it’s fairly unsafe and that I shouldn’t bring any nice watches with me (they know I’m a watch geek)

Now naturally I won’t be wearing my batman for example as a Rolex like that is very recognizable - however how unsafe is it? Would it be too risky to wear my Rolex OP or one of my omegas? Just curious

Thanks in advance!

Edited Nov 26, 2017
  2. lillatroll Nov 26, 2017

I visited Cape Town in April of this year. During the day and in the tourist areas it was safe enough. I heard that long street at night was more risky and you should order a taxi before leaving bars and restraints. Having said that We stayed 10 minutes walk from Victoria and Alfred docks and walked home every night with no problems. Be cautious but don t be overly concerned. I have stayed in many dodgy parts of cities, Compton in L.A., Harlem in NYC China Town Yokohama, travelled cattle class across Russia, Mongolia and China. Most people in the world are good people. Having said that I would probably leave the Rolex at home. Cape Town is one of the best cities I been to as a tourist and I have been to quite a few so it' no small compliment. Enjoy your trip.

eugeneandresson likes this.
  3. omegaaddict Nov 26, 2017

Thanks for the input!

4. keepschanging Nov 26, 2017

It’s basically safe as long as you are reasonably careful. Everyone can get unlucky anywhere and maybe that risk is a bit higher in cape town, but it does not reach the threshold of being statistically significant imho.