Forums Latest Members

Question for Longines pocket watch experts...

1. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Feb 26, 2017

Can you tell me anything about the early 20th century movements that were signed "Longines Extra"?

Thanks in advance.

Tony C.

2. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Feb 26, 2017

Did you have any photos of interest? Or is this just a general question?

3. Interstatetime Feb 26, 2017

I have seen a couple of these. It is possible that the extra marking may have meant extra adjustments. Swiss watches imported into the US at this time which said on the movements "Adjusted to 5 positions" or anything which indicated that they completed with American RR grade watches were taxed at a high rate. Perhaps this was Longines' way of getting around this tax/tariff. Patek did this too but usually the Patek movements said both Extra and Adjusted to 5 or 6 positions.

JohnCote

Deafboy likes this.
  4. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Feb 27, 2017

Longines used the "extra" label for various jewel counts and bridge layouts, including rather nice 21j versions. They also sometimes used a secondary designation of "superior", as referenced in the last photo.

Blued jeweled Longines were mainly intended for the Asian market, if I am correct. At least that is where I see them most prevalently. Though I cannot say why.

longines-3748167-platinum-pocket-watch_23.jpg $_12.JPG image079.jpg
    Deafboy likes this.
  5. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Feb 27, 2017

Thanks! Interesting, and especially the Asian market note. I have long been fascinated by the special preferences of the Asian market, and how they impacted various models that were exported from Switzerland.

6. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Feb 27, 2017

Worth a read @Tony C.

image.jpeg

7. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Feb 27, 2017

Thank you!