Forums Latest Members

Question Around Hamilton Panda Chronograph (Ref 7723)

1. Wysie Apr 9, 2017

Hi all,

I need some advice and help around this model. I've been trying to find one for a while now, and recently chanced upon one that seems to be in excellent condition, as you can see from the photos below. This is a watch I've been looking for for quite a while now as it checks all the right boxes for me (no date, panda dial, perfectly sized for my puny wrists), but most importantly of all it's a Hamilton Panda! It's somewhat personal to my fiancee and me, but long story short she's been calling me a hamster because apparently I've really chubby cheeks when I eat, and I've always told her she looks just like a panda with her sleeping habits (and she loves pandas). [​IMG] A little childish maybe, haha! We're planning to get married next year and I'd love to wear this for that special day.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

However, it seems to be that the crown is definitely not original as it's unsigned, and I'm unsure if the other parts are replacement parts as well (pushers, dial, hands, etc.) The owner is asking for ~2420USD and it doesn't come with box or papers, which seems to be quite high.

What're your thoughts on this? Thanks all, appreciate the help!

2. M.C.B1974 Apr 9, 2017

Hi,

Sorry I can't help you with any information on this watch but want to congratulate you on your future wedding.:thumbsup:
    Hope it's a great day wearing your panda, marrying your panda.:)

3. semper_shells Apr 9, 2017

Wysie and R3D9 like this.
  4. R3D9 Apr 9, 2017

I second this suggestion. If your wife is the panda, it only makes sense you rock a reverse panda! You know, Yin and Yang and all that...

5. Wysie Apr 9, 2017

@semper_shells I was so excited when I saw that announcement, but unfortunately 42mm is on the large side for me. The ideal size for me is 38mm, and recently I've been wearing a 35-37mm too! Plus it's a reverse panda :p. Thanks!

@M.C.B1974 Thanks!

M.C.B1974 likes this.
  6. Davidt Apr 10, 2017

Crown is replacement as are pushers.

Dial looks correct though, as do all the hands.

Is the case all stainless or just the case-back, with the mid-case being chrome?

7. Wysie Apr 10, 2017

Thanks Davidt. What's the difference with the pushers vs original ones?

I believe the case is all stainless for this model :).

8. Watch_n_Wrist Apr 10, 2017

Mine says hi.
    IMG_2289.JPG

It has a replacement crown as well, everything else should be original on it.

9. Wysie Apr 10, 2017

Beautiful, thanks for sharing! Seems to me that the one I'm keen on getting has slightly bigger pushers (replacement).

Watch_n_Wrist likes this.
  10. pippy Apr 10, 2017

Beautiful watch.:thumbsup:

11. M.C.B1974 Apr 10, 2017

The new model looks great but the vintage one looks so classy. The print is so properly proportioned to the dial, no date and manual wind makes it such a cool watch. If the vintage panda is the better size for you... I can't see you going wrong with that watch with that color dial combination.:thumbsup:
    @ Watch_n_Wrist I really like the rally strap on your watch:thumbsup:

12. Davidt Apr 11, 2017

13. Wysie Apr 11, 2017

14. Slevin kelevra Apr 11, 2017

Crown wouldn't bother me too much but those pushers are totally wrong. The Lume also looks a little discoloured, not bad but the lume can turn a fantastic custard colour on these watches as displayed by Watch n wrist. The lume on my Tradition was also a really nice yellowy colour.

I looked for one of these for ages and found that excellent examples are very hard to come by.

I too thought the case was stainless on the Traditions and Hamiltons but even if its not, if the case looks to be in good shape with no flaking then it should stand up for a good few years.

IMG_0213.JPG
  15. Slevin kelevra Apr 11, 2017

Really cool!

16. Wysie Apr 11, 2017

@Slevin kelevra Thanks for the details! These watches are hard to come by, regardless of condition :p! I think what's going to end up happening is that I'm going to get it, and then spend time on finding better looking pushers and crown, haha.

17. Slevin kelevra Apr 11, 2017

I was looking for a Hamilton and couldn't find one so bought a Tradition in average condition and regretted it immediately. I then had the chance of another Tradition in what I saw as excellent condition (pictured above). I paid a lot more for it but it was worth it in my eyes.

If I were you I would keep an eye on Chronotrader and place a WTB there also. You will find one but it could take a while.

Also, dealers like Thosewatchguys.com have them in stock now and again.

Good luck!

Wysie likes this.
  18. Wysie Apr 11, 2017

Thanks for the advice. The watch being sold is in excellent condition, less the pushers and crown :(. Dealers do have them but the most recent Hamilton 7723 I saw was on WatchesWithPatina, and even then that had a replacement crown and it was a reverse panda, with repainted lume on the hands :(.

19. Slevin kelevra Apr 11, 2017

The watch does look in pretty good condition overall. The pushers would bother me though. If you are going to purchase then I would ensure that you have someone with the correct ones in stock before going ahead.

20. Davidt Apr 11, 2017

I'm pretty sure there'll be stock pushers available that look much better than those. If you're happy with everything else and the price is right, the pushers wouldn't stop me.

Slevin kelevra likes this.