Forums Latest Members

Question around 2019 Omega Speedmaster build quality

1. grahamhutch Apr 10, 2019

Hi

I've just bought a brand new Omega Speedmaster and have been enjoying wearing it for the past few days. In certain lights there's a dark line that catches my eye and upon closer inspection with the loupe there seems to be a noticeable join at one of the metal bands inside the face next to the chronometer ring.

My question is has anyone else seen this and is it normal build quality or should I be going back to my dealer asking them to remedy it?

IMG_0215 2_sml.jpg IMG_0216 2_sml.jpg IMG_0217 2_sml.jpg Thanks in advance

2. Om3ga321 Apr 10, 2019

If you can see a flaw with the naked eye.Then yes,take it back.
    If it visible with a 10X loupe then no.

3. Davidt Apr 10, 2019

I think that's just the join in the tension ring which is part of the hesalite crystal.

8100_RPM and ChrisN like this.
  4. 3nicewatches $100 well spent Apr 10, 2019

5. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Apr 10, 2019

Your advice would be helpful if it was an actual flaw, but as others have stated, it's how the tension ring does it's job.

connieseamaster likes this.
  6. Duckie Apr 10, 2019

And here I was thinking things were getting absolutely ridiculous with the Rolex crowd.
    Next thing it will be the alignment of the logo not being straight up and down on the Winding crown when it's fully wound on these Speedy's.

Seriously.
    The watch is arguably one of the most robust and proven designs within living history.
    The movement is also an absolute workhorse.
    Taking these two points alone into consideration and factoring in the price point of the whole package with the new screwed bracelet I think any small imperfections only observable under magnification should be taken as part of the "individual" watch's natural charm.
    Besides, If the line you are seeing is indeed a product of form following function then it is actually a feature of the model.
    Put the loupe away and try to learn to appreciate the watch for what it is.

Risto likes this.
  7. grahamhutch Apr 11, 2019

Hi

Thanks for the advice, from a very knowledgable forum. I appreciate you taking the time to reply!

8. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 11, 2019

So, same answers you got on WUS - hopefully that settles it for you.

grahamhutch and ac106 like this.
  9. 124watchfan Apr 11, 2019

And now two forum threads out on the WWW questioning the build quality of the speedmaster. ::facepalm1::. I seriously wish that people would consider the implication of a thread title Before they post it.

Yehoshua likes this.