Forums Latest Members

Question about Zenith dials with hollow star and printed markers

1. oldoaktree Cant distinguish between "fake" and "ugly". Jul 26, 2016

I have just come across a vintage Zenith Sporto that looks quite nice but there is one thing that bugs me: the markers on the dial, including the little star are printed instead of applied. Would it have come out of the factory like this? Somehow, the lack of that beautiful raised star on the dial does not look good to me. According to my research, only the models made in Besancon had hllow stars and printed vs applied markers, but I keep coming across Swiss Made dials with completely printed dials.
    Here are photos of the watches in question. Opinions?

https://uhrforum.de/zenith-sporto-blaues-zifferblatt-wie-neu-t201570

http://www.mateuroiswatchesplace.com/watches/zenith-sporto

http://forum.watch.ru/showthread.php?t=103642

I really find it odd that these watches can be found in NOS condition online...

2. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Jul 26, 2016

These are legit. My impression is that the Sporto was sort of an entry-level, young mans watch - hence the informal, bare-bones look.

I've never heard of the distinction you mention regarding Besancon vs. leLocle produced watch. I can think of several Le Locle models with printed dials.

3. Finrod Felagund Jul 26, 2016

The only production distinction I heard of between Zenith Sporto is the "28800" on Dial.

The "28800" is a characteristic of Sporto that have been produced by Martel Watch as Zenith factory was not willing to display the frequency of its calibers on the dial.

4. oldoaktree Cant distinguish between "fake" and "ugly". Jul 26, 2016

I thought every Zenith watch from the 70s had an applied star instead of a painted hollow star.

5. Finrod Felagund Jul 26, 2016

Here is a perfectly genuine Sporto I own.

However caliber is 2542 that has a production between 1966 and 1969, so technically not from the 70's.

As Zenith moved to the square logo from 1970 not sure we can say that applied star was the standard at that time.

They also use the painted square logo on some watches beween 1970 and 1975. (maybe only for quartz... but not sure)

831475348_5_1800.jpg

6. oldoaktree Cant distinguish between "fake" and "ugly". Jul 26, 2016

I am curious. What makes you think that it is completely genuine? The fact that every single one of these that I see for sale has a dial that is in pristine and NOS condition makes me think that something rotten is going on. The gap between the Z, the E and the N makes me think that it is a redial. We need to take a look at a photos of old catalogs to be sure. There is something very fishy about these printed dials.

Edited Jul 26, 2016
  7. Vitezi Jul 26, 2016

I'm unsure if this helps, but here's a Sporto shown in a Zenith catalog from 1953:
    [​IMG]
    (thanks)

8. Vitezi Jul 26, 2016

And an ad from 1957:
    [​IMG]
    (thanksPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network)

9. oldoaktree Cant distinguish between "fake" and "ugly". Jul 28, 2016

Nice ads, but I believe that those models pre-date the Zenith Sporto above by about 10 years, so it isn't really comparable. Is there some way one can call them up in Switzerland and ask them? Unfortunately, I only speak English.

10. Finrod Felagund Jul 29, 2016

Don't worry they speak a very good english