Forums Latest Members

Question about X-33 Solar Impulse

1. cgreen Mar 7, 2016

Hi everyone,

Hope you all had a good weekend. I'm interested in the X-33 Solar Impulse limited edition and I'm hoping anyone familiar with the watch can share their thoughts. Are there any forum members who own this piece?

Over and above that I'm wondering why Omega uses grade 2 titanium over the harder grade 5. Can anyone explain that? Is it simply a matter of cost, a la a watch made of grade 5 would be more expensive due to the higher price of the material?

Should a person be concerned with the durability and corrosion resistance of grade 2? I've read that depending on the alloy, some steels are harder than grade 2. If anyone can enlighten me and set my feelings at ease I'd be appreciative.

I know the grade 2 metal has been approved for flight, etc, just from an earthbound practical standpoint how does it wear day to day? Thanks very much, looking forward to your thoughts.

CG

2. tyrantlizardrex Mar 7, 2016

Hey CG,

I have a series 1 X-33, made in 1998... A few scuffs, but no hard wear to it.

If imagine the modern version is as hard wearing if not harder. :)

Cheers

Chris

3. Perseus Mar 7, 2016

Steel is about has hard as carbon and as light as steel. I don't think you need to worry about the metal. Tudor Pelagos is also grade 2. My concern is that I don't think the solar impulse includes a bracelet.

4. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Mar 7, 2016

My guess is that grade 2 would be significantly cheaper to mill and polish the case, with little difference in the amount of wear a watch would get.

Grade 5 is not "better" but is an alloy with al and vandium. It is a little harder, and therefore harder to work with. Grade 2 is "pure" Ti and is used in alot of medical grade stuff, and 5 is not.

Some reading on Ti grades.
    http://www.supraalloys.com/titanium-grades.php
    http://www.mrtitanium.com/tigrades.html

5. cgreen Mar 7, 2016

Thanks very much, perhaps it's a silly bit of thinking that 5 is better than 2 because it's a higher grade. I know that Linde Werdelin uses grade 5, as does Richard Mille, but in both instances the resulting timepieces are more expensive. Interesting to me that Omega has a much better movement than the LW but given the machining of the case and the crazy angles the LW is more expensive. I'm guessing because the grade 5 is indeed harder to machine.

CG

6. cgreen Mar 7, 2016

I believe you're right, the SI only comes on the strap. I really like the color combination so I'm not too fussed by not having a bracelet as part of the sale.

7. cgreen Mar 7, 2016

Thanks for the thought, I appreciate that. My next question is obviously more personal but did you have any reservations about spending thousands on a quartz watch? Mind you I quite like the functionality of the piece and it fits my lifestyle at the moment, I'm just curious if the collective wisdom is that it's a fair price for what you get. I have other mechanical watches, both dress and steel sport pieces so the SI would be an everyday piece until it was time to dress up or I simply wanted a different look.

CG

8. tyrantlizardrex Mar 7, 2016

I bought mine used last year, from the original owner, for £1000. I've sent it for a service at omega, which is £380, and bought a new Kevlar strap and buckle for £106 - when it comes back next month it will be under a 2 year warranty (and have a new movement in).

The solar impulse and skywalker X-33s are very cool... I'm just not sure if pay full retail... There are very good used Skywalkers for around £2500.

Or you could pick up a cheaper mk1/mk2, get it serviced, and enjoy a fully warranted, but much cheaper x33. :)

9. tyrantlizardrex Mar 7, 2016

10. wayneG Mar 7, 2016

The Grade 2 Ti is possibly used for its finish. Much more grey in its appearance compared to the more steel-like finish of Grade 5 Titanium. These watches are sized at 45mm but actually wear much better, however the NATO is made from thick material so it might be worth considering an aftermarket strap as it will probably wear a bit smaller overall.

I was looking at the same watch recently as they're selling for <£2500GBP via grey dealers here in the UK, and it's a lot of watch for the money. In the end though, I decided I'd prefer the standard model, but that looks too similar to my Breitling Aerospace. The Breitling also has a really loud alarm and it's 100M WR, but it doesn't feature Mission Timers and some of the other features of the Omega.

11. ConElPueblo Mar 7, 2016

I believe I read that the reason for Omega opting for Grade 2 was what @WayneG notes; easthetic reasons.

12. cgreen Mar 7, 2016

Interesting thought about the color perhaps partially dictating the use of grade 2. I think it's a great looking watch and as I mentioned in an earlier response, the watch suits my lifestyle quite well right now. I'll have to look around and see what's out there at the boutiques or maybe even pre-owned. Thank you again.

CG

tyrantlizardrex likes this.