Forums Latest Members

Question About UG Compax Blue Exotic Dial

1. dshap Oct 23, 2013

Does the UG collector community have any idea about how many of this model with this exotic dial may have been produced? Or perhaps is it known if it's a rare model in comparison to other desirable UG's? I can't seem to find much information about it online, so I'm guessing that's because few collectors own one. Anything you guys can tell me would be helpful.

(Picture borrowed from Chuck Maddox)

[​IMG]

djmusicman and cozzani1978 like this.
  2. Gavin It's the quiet ones you have to 'watch' out for. Oct 23, 2013

3. mbirtch Oct 24, 2013

4. mbirtch Oct 24, 2013

Its a late 60,s compax-often referred to as "rare" but there have been a few for sale-39mm case I think and there currently is one for sale in France...........nice dial but would not say it as rare (whatever that means) as the Cairelli UG or slate dial/teal dial tricompax-nice watch nevertheless.............MikeB.

5. papaebetu Oct 24, 2013

Really?
    Are you sure of it ??
    Me not......

6. mbirtch Oct 24, 2013

I may be wrong as it might be 70's but feel late 60's......................................has a definite 70's look but my Aerocompax is stated(Lang and Meis) as mid 70's but by serial number is 1963-65.......so who knows but a really nice dial for all that............

7. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Oct 24, 2013

GIGI

do you doubt the authenticity of the watch?

8. papaebetu Oct 25, 2013

No Lou,
    have many doubt about the word NOT rare, all are mine,
    ohh yes, blue are not same level of the AMI ;)

GIGI

image (27).jpeg image (28).jpeg
    aeroengineer, x3no, LouS and 2 others like this.
  9. mbirtch Oct 26, 2013

Please can someone please give a definition of "rare"-the term is used widely presumably to encourage high prices and exclusivity but what does it mean?-There are quite a few cairellis/typexx's/trocompaxes/even Sternzeits out there-all referred to as rare and yet made sometimes in their hundreds,even thousands-Lemania Saafs @800,I believe-so is "rare" referring to how many were made/how many now exist/or a notion that suggests really exclusive?-my understanding of an edition(in my line of work,the number of prints produced )is that 25 is exclusive,1000 still called a limited edition,but a "one off"/artist proof is "rare"-a better term might be "scarce" which suggests that only a few still exist ,which accounts for age and use and history."Rare" just seems such a meaningless and overused miss-description-that's my view anyway...............................BTW the Compax is still a highly desirable chronograph(whatever that means!)

10. papaebetu Oct 26, 2013

Mine are NOT FOR SALE,
    maybe the phantomatic French couple on Ebay or Chrono24 seen only by mbirtch....
    However the model with white subdial (not on sale in French) is a more "scarce",
    the model with blue subdial a bit after it

11. mbirtch Oct 26, 2013

the example I referred to in my reply to dshap is neither on ebay nor chrono24 but offerd by a dealer(well respected in france0
    1.the example I referred to in replying to dshap is offered by a very reputable dealer in France and not as far as I know on ebay or chrono24..............................2..I was not seeking to purchase..................3."phantomatic french couple"I do not understand.............perhaps a little less hysterics are in order..........................MikeB.

12. papaebetu Oct 26, 2013

ok.......sorry

13. mbirtch Oct 26, 2013

"perfectly ok--------------------best,MikeBpapaebetu,

14. andy_s Oct 30, 2013

It's a very subjective term and it's possible to use degrees of rarity perhaps - the SAAFs had 800 issued but most were destroyed, maybe 40 exist, collected and 'hidden'? The 'Grail' Speed, 376.0822, had about 1500+ made, but is 'rarely' seen for sale. EZM1 ZUZ had only 22 issued, the Sternzeits maybe about 50+, A386s about +/- 2500 iirc; all could be described as 'rare' or as you say 'scarce' to some degree, particularly when compared to main stream production numbers, but to be honest, if you are looking for one then you already know where it stands in respect to availability/production. When describing a particular watch you could add condition into the mix as well, the earlier type ('first edition') or better condition one that is all correct for example will make it both rarer and more desirable I suppose.

Rare seems an understatement for the one or two offs such as the prototypes though -

[​IMG]
    (Courtesy Herr Lang)

Or even when only a handful are known - like the other UG Cairelli, HA-1 -

[​IMG]

Diabolik, MMMD and timeismoney like this.
  15. mbirtch Oct 30, 2013

thanks Andy-I've even seen "mega rare"!!----------"rarely for sale/available" might be ok and yes,I would advocate a more universal criteria for watch condition(again-minty/nos...etc are terms floated around) ..........talking universal though,that UG Cairelli really is one of the most beautiful chronographs one could ever wish to see...........and at a very high price ,I believe..................now another thread might be -What is the most beautiful chronograph ever produced?.................(with the resultant question--what do you mean by beautiful!!?)

16. papaebetu Oct 30, 2013

Wich word is correct if have to talk about this two my babyes ? ;)

GIGI

(my courtesy) :whistling:

UG.JPG PILOT-DIAL.jpeg UGcairelliFondello-corr.jpg PILOT-MOVcorr.jpg
  17. mbirtch Oct 30, 2013

fabulous/fgabulous to the Cairelli!! The Zenith never was my favorite but very nice ....................

18. mbirtch Oct 30, 2013

sorry-fgabulous is an indication of my excitement at seeing the Cairelli!!

19. mbirtch Oct 30, 2013

here are my two candidates.............

IMG_1935.JPG Immagine 359.jpg
    x3no likes this.
  20. andy_s Oct 30, 2013

Bello e fantastico are the words that spring to mind GIGI, I didn't know you had one of these - hopefully you bought when it was a mere 20k Eu or thereabouts and not at the latest price!!

As a person that appreciates the chronograph and also military watches, this is perhaps the pinnacle example of both, in my honest opinion; what better or more interesting than an "astronomical, split second, 16 minute, 24 hour, single pusher, issued" watch - done in the beautiful classical style of Universal Geneve? The 'rarity' is just one facet amongst all its other qualities.

Watch out GIGI, I may have to get my hunting rifle out... ;)