Question about this spring bar tool before I use it on my Planet Ocean

Hey guys,

I recently bought this spring bar from Amazon and haven’t used it yet because I wanted to get everyone’s opinion here first. It’s a cheapo tool that seems to be a replica of a higher end Bergeon and I intended to use it for my new Planet Ocean. Admittedly, I didn’t do my research before I bought it and likely would have sprung for the Bergeon if I had known better. I’ve read that the fork tips can bend after some use which I’m not really worried about. I’m more worried if this tool will cause damage to the case in any way, above and beyond scratches that usually come with strap changes. I’m fine with surface scratches.

I know that I’ll be careful when using this. Do I need to worry that this tool will mess up the watch case in any way or will it suffice for occasional strap and bracelet swaps? Anyone else use a cheapo Bergeon imitation spring bar tool and if so has it caused any issues to your watches?

Appreciate any feedback

That should work just fine. Might not last as long as a Bergeon, but shouldn't cause any damage by itself.

I use Bergeon because I like to change a lot and they're not that much more. I spend more than that on beer in a week.

You should be fine.

I also have the Bergeron version that looks similar. It is excellent.

The fake Bergeons have a habit of snapping the tips and rusting but beyond that they’ll do the job for a while

Like 2
Are you removing/installing straps, or a bracelet? If it's just straps, then it shouldn't be an issue. Any damage will be more related to your skill and dexterity than the tool.

Removing some modern bracelets can be pretty tricky, however, because the end-links are so precisely manufactured to fit snugly between the lugs.

Like 2
It would be used only for straps. Like I said, I know the Bergeon tips are strong. The main concern here was any damage that an imitation tool could do to the watch case itself. Seems not if used properly

It would be used only for straps. Like I said, I know the Bergeon tips are strong. The main concern here was any damage that an imitation tool could do to the watch case itself. Seems not if used properly
For just straps, those wide tips really do work better sometimes.

I think (could be wrong, and it might depend on who's using the tool) that the damage to the lugs will mostly come from pressing the spring bar against the underside of the lug. So it's not the tool itself that does the damage. I think you can avoid the scratching at least to some degree by putting a piece of (thin) tape on the bottom of one lug (the one that the spring bar goes in second, with the use of the tool).

If you are worried about the cheap tool tips, you could buy Bergeon replacement tips, and use those. At least for screwdrivers this is supposed to work.

Just tape the lugs to prevent scratches. You’ll be fine.

Bought this for my 3861 Speedy and it left zero marks.
Seriously worth every cent.
Screen Shot 2021-04-15 at 6.17.19 PM.png

Like 1
I've been using this one with very good results. Handy that it comes with various diameter tips, and while a bit fussy to set up each use, it works great. (My only note for others about to use this type for the first time, since you can adjust the resting width of the tool, set it to just a bare millimeter wider than where you'll be gripping the spring bars. If you do that, you can slide in, grab them, pinch, and it's almost magical how easily the removal or insertion happens.)

upload_2021-4-15_15-31-47.png

Like 1
Set yourself a firm rule of only ever doing things from the back of the lugs and you'll be okay.

The broad end on that tool will only ever be useful where there's play between strap and watch. Your real balance comes with bracelets and finding a small enough tool to get into the small slots behind the solid end links. Ballache #2 comes with cheap tools when the prongs forming a fork bend or break.

Tell us how you get on please.