Forums Latest Members

Question about Speedmaster Professional bracelet

1. Meche Aug 30, 2015

Hey all, new member here. Just want to start off by saying thanks for all the info on this site, such a great community!

I recently received my first Omega, a 311.30.42.30.01.005 Speedmaster Professional Hesalite from my wife for our 15 year wedding anniversary. It is honestly about the most beautiful thing I have ever seen. I have been a space geek my whole life and seeing how it was a big occasion, she got me my dream watch.

While I admire it, and its box, and all the little accessories and books and such that go along with it, I am a bit of a neat freak perfectionist and am wanting to purchase a back up bracelet since I will be wearing it nearly everyday on its bracelet, and it will be seeing some serious wear, and I'd like to have an extra just in case all the scratches, nicks, and gouges become too much for me to bear.

My question is: Is the bracelet it came from the factory with matched to the watch in some way? Like via identical serial number? Or are all the bracelets and bands the same? I'm just curious and I figured someone on here would most certainly know.

2. wsfarrell Aug 30, 2015

Speedmaster bracelets are not matched to watches by serial as far as I know, and it's not terribly difficult for a watchmaker (or the factory) to restore them to near-new appearance.

Meche likes this.
  3. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Aug 30, 2015

You'll be wasting your time and money just buying one now. Just use the one you have, and keep using it and polishing it until it has no more use and then buy another if you need to. If you get two it won't be long before both will have some markets and then what? get a third?

WatchVaultNYC and Meche like this.
  4. Meche Aug 30, 2015

Actually, I was going to buy 12 and pretend they were donuts... ;)

Seriously, thank you both for the input. It's 99% "I've got this new thing that I love and want to keep perfect" jitters, in 6 months I probably won't give it a second thought. This is why I trust the experts, like y'all.

Nobel Prize likes this.
  5. bb58 Aug 30, 2015

The Speedmaster bracelet you have is the 1998 with 849 endlinks I believe. It'll set you back hundreds on the gray market, even more if you went to the boutique (I was looking for one for a 44mm Speedmaster and was quoted $920+tax).

Wanting to baby your Speedmaster isn't something out of the ordinary, so don't feel bad; everyone is like that when they get a new watch. The places you can expect to see marks is the clasp and the underside of the lugs. If you really want to preserve the clasp, you can put some clear tape or plastic on it and cut it to fit. Most of the hits it'll take will be desk dive marks. As for the lugs, apply some blue painter's tape or scotch tape if and when you decide to change the bracelet later on for a different strap. It's common to scratch the lugs with a bergeon tool trying to get the spring bars out.

Nobel Prize and Meche like this.
  6. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Aug 31, 2015

The #1 killer of the bracelet for me has been Formica desk and table tops. That stuff will scratch the heck out of the stainless steel.

I have a clear Rubbermaid desk protector on my desk so I don't have to touch up the bracelet every day.

Tom

7. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 31, 2015

The #1 killer of bracelets is...touching it up every day... ;)

Nobel Prize, Df13 and Taddyangle like this.
  8. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Aug 31, 2015

After you get that first scratch, you won't worry to much about the next one. If you must, Omega will refresh a bracelet for $75. I had mine done last month, came back looking like new.

Welcome to the message board. And you are obligated to post a pic.

Enjoy your speedy, and I'm certain you can't own just one, so start planting the seed with your wife for your 20th.

9. Df13 Aug 31, 2015

The only thing more beautiful than a brand new steel watch is a steel watch with all of the scars of daily wear. Put that thing on, don't take it off, and don't worry about it!

p.s. also, insure it, so you don't have to worry about it.

Nobel Prize likes this.
  10. yinzerniner Aug 31, 2015

So, not everything that @bb58 is correct. Since you have the newer boxed set you more than likely also then you have the new bracelet with screw links, the 1958/989. This bracelet has the screw installation instead of the pin installation, and each of the links is a bit longer than the 1998 so sizings are not quite as accurate. This bracelet (and the 1998) fit into 20mm lug widths, while the 44mm Speedys that @bb58 referenced have 21mm lug widths, and thus more expensive bracelets.
    I believe the 1998 and 1958 are about the same price when purchased from and AD or Boutique, but on the secondary market the 1998 is much less costly since there's a bigger supply out there - the 1998's been around for 15+ years as the Speedy Pro bracelet.

As for wanting to protect the bracelet since it's brand new you have plenty of material to work with in case you want to have a good jeweler or watchmaker refinish it. So wear it with aplomb and know that you can get it done any time you want.

bb58 likes this.
  11. Paddington Aug 31, 2015

Alternatively you can get yourself a 1171 bracelet. Much cheaper than a 1998 - about 290.- US at Ofrei. Will give your watch a vintage look and prevent your 1998 from to much demage. But after ten years of wear and a revision at omega - it will look like new anyway....

12. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Aug 31, 2015

Well yeah, hence the desk pad!

Tom

13. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 1, 2015

Not exactly what I meant...lots of people refinish their own bracelets by hand, and yes it improves the look. But if not done properly, it can lead to uneven sections that then become difficult to even back out when it lands with someone who is going to refinish it properly.

Cheers, Al

14. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Sep 1, 2015

Oh, yes, I've noticed that. I've replaced a clasp because of it. It's not easy!

Tom

15. Df13 Sep 1, 2015

Another option is to buy an Omega buckle from Ofrei and throw a strap on the Speedy.

16. Meche Sep 1, 2015

Thanks for the feedback everyone...this is what I'm talking about! Awesome people having a lively discussion and helping this neurotic 1st time Omega owner calm down and just wear the dang watch! :)

Which by the way, is what I am gonna do. If it gets some "character", so much the better. One thing is certain: the men I admire who made this watch famous never worried about a few scratches!!!

17. Df13 Sep 1, 2015

Agreed. I would consider getting it insured, through a place like Jeweler's Mutual. It'll make a huge difference in your mindset.