Forums Latest Members

Question about Omega Reference #s

1. usmc93 Dec 5, 2018

why do some Omega Reference #s have a capital "O" at the beginning on the card and others dont, as in the photo below?
    Thanks

IMG_1061.jpg
    superfly likes this.
  2. usmc93 Dec 6, 2018

for anyone that cares, I just found it, it likely means it was purchased at an Omega Boutique...cant say for certain but was just told that by an Omega collector.

alam and superfly like this.
  3. 3nicewatches $100 well spent Dec 6, 2018

Interesting, and that story might check out, because I have two Omegas - one bought at an OB and one bought at an AD. Only the one from the OB has an O at the beginning of its Ref. number

Edited Dec 6, 2018
    superfly likes this.
  4. usmc93 Dec 6, 2018

Thanks good to hear possible confirmation!

5. superfly Dec 6, 2018

I got this Speedmaster Moonphase at an Omega Boutique in Sydney, and the reference number begins with O.

20181204_153749.jpg

20181206_212955.jpg

6. usmc93 Dec 7, 2018

Nice, thanks! Seems like the Boutique theory is likely correct. I guess my next question is why would Omega bother to notate that it is a Boutique over an AD purchase? From my experience there is no additional benefits post purchase.

7. ama98 Dec 7, 2018

I have purchased last month my new 2018 Diver 300M from an OB but I don't see the O on the warranty card!
    However it is on the plastic "coffin".

Could the O mean that the boutique is Omega owned? I dont have any other idea...

8. usmc93 Dec 7, 2018

hmmm, interesting, possibly it is something they did in the past but dropped later on? Thanks for the reply

9. alam Dec 7, 2018

to remind the original buyer he/she paid full MSRP? :p ...but sure is an interesting way to catalog ref numbers!

Foo2rama and usmc93 like this.
  10. 3nicewatches $100 well spent Dec 7, 2018

I didn't pay full retail price for my DSOTM at the OB, not even close. Everything is negotiable.

11. superfly Dec 7, 2018

My purchase at the OB, with the O in the reference number, was from September 2018.

12. usmc93 Dec 7, 2018

Yes, I just found a few others from OBs that had the O and haven't found a single one with the O that didn't come from a Boutique so maybe there are ones like ama98s that are just the rarer exception? I have no idea why I care but I get stuck on this kind of stuff and have to root it out ::facepalm2::[

superfly likes this.
  13. 3nicewatches $100 well spent Dec 7, 2018

and mine was a month after that

14. 3nicewatches $100 well spent Dec 7, 2018

Well, now you've made a few of us care! The truth must be out there...

superfly likes this.
  15. Duckie Dec 8, 2018

Interesting.
    I purchased a Speedy Pro Hesalite whilst on a cruise ship a few weeks ago.
    I don't know if it was deemed to be an Omega boutique or not.
    It seemed to be a boutique for all intents and purposes even though they were also selling other Swatch brands.
    But the ship is supposed to be the very latest in the world and the biggest ever in the fleet with a sister ship currently under construction.
    They also had an exclusively Cartier boutique right next door along with other boutique brands represented on board.

It was my very first cruise, but my wife has cruised all over the world with this line and others for many years.
    She did make special mention/note that she has never seen boutique brands represented like this on board a ship before.
    After reading this thread i looked at my cards and shipping coffin to compare.
    My serial no also starts with O.

Perhaps there is indeed some merit to the hpothesis.
    At least it's a good story:)

16. Duckie Dec 8, 2018

Yes it may well denote ownership.
    On reflection, the senior sales assistant i was working with was insistent that the hang tag had to be returned to Omega as a matter of policy.
    Also they were adamant that they couldn't drop the price any further.
    There seemed to be a designated floor in the sale price and they had actually hit it.
    The inference was that there would be clearly defined repercussions if they crossed the line.

The price was too good to pass up and we had got down to talking about a few dollars difference anyway.

The ship was clearly intended for the Chinese market and they would've had plenty of opportunities to swap the watch for a bowl of rice a hundred times over.
    In light of this, we were quite convinced their position on price was legitimate.

17. cholack Dec 9, 2018

Interesting thread but also interesting that the OB prices are negotiable...

18. 3nicewatches $100 well spent Dec 9, 2018

If you think about it, prices at boutiques have to be negotiable - they know we could buy from an AD, where prices are negotiable, or even go grey market. I got my Blancpain (bottom of avatar) last month and although I didn't know it when I fell in love with it, it was hot off the press - it was announced at Basel 2018, has a VERY low serial number on the back, and after I bought it the sales person said "you might be the first person in the US to be wearing it'. Despite all of that, I got 4 figures off the retail price, even though I bought it at one of only two BP boutiques in the country. If you make a reasonable offer, and are 100% serious about walking if they don't agree, then you're getting that discount.

superfly likes this.
  19. ama98 Dec 9, 2018

I got 5% discount at my local OB but they refused to give me the plastic tag citing company policy as the reason.

20. Duckie Dec 9, 2018

I would suppose it depends on the extent of their captive market.
    Where I live Omega has decided to not supply the remaining independent jewellery store dealer which had Omega as a major draw card brand.
    They opened up an Omega boutique instead.
    It's early days for the boutique but there is seemingly little to no room for stepping outside of Omega policy guidelines at all.
    Naturally that means absolutely no discounta around these parts.
    At least for the foreseeable future anyway.
    It's the sole reason why I picked my Speedy up on the cruise and not at home.