Forums Latest Members

Question About Omega And The "pointy A" On The Dial

1. agee Jan 1, 2013

Happy 2013 from beautiful Boston, MA
    I am a new member of this site.
    I have been trying to put together a collection of Omega and vintage military watches, especially WWII US, British, and German wrist watches
    Please forgive me if this topic has already been covered, but
    I have a question regarding the pointy "A" on Omegas-all Omegas.
    As I understand it finding a pointy A on the word Automatic on the Omega dial is an issue, but finding a pointy A on the Omega name on the dial is not always an issue.
    And according to what I have read a pointy A on an Omega WWW is usually, if not always, an issue. Is that correct?
    I've seen some Omegas both military and non military with pointy A's in Omega and some with non pointy A's.
    So my question is what is the general rule of thumb to follow when assessing an Omega dial-military, WWW, regular, etc.? Is a Pointy A in Omega on the dial an issue? And if not what is a general guideline to follow to determine a redail or original dial?
    Can anyone help or offer an opinion on this issue

2. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jan 1, 2013

Happy 2013 to you!

There are so many different Omega dials and so many good and not so good redials, that trying to answer your questions without pictures of the dial in question would be doing you a great disservice.

There really is no "rule of thumb", particularly when discussing military watches. It was not unknown for military units to have their own watchmakers do redials to remove radium or other radioactive substances from older dials.

You might also want to ask here, if you haven't already done so:

http://www.mwrforum.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

3. agee Jan 1, 2013

Thanks gatorcpa. I appreciate the response
    I have posted a similar query on MWR-I'm also posting here to see if there any other opinions on the topic
    Trying to stay as well informed as I can to make wise and intelligent decisions on possible future purchases