Forums Latest Members
  1. E30only Nov 1, 2016

Hi all,

I am new to the Omega community and searching for my first omega in life. Feeling excited.

I bet most people will get their first Omega in caliber 321, 861 or 1861 but somehow the 3539 just shines at me. When I do my homework in search of the perfect 3539, i note something strange about the caseback. On some of the 3539 regardless it is 3539.50 or 3539.31, I note that some of the casebacks comes with an additional omega logo under the seahorse as shown in the picture below, while some casebacks only have the seahorse on the caseback. Does anyone know why some of the casebacks have this omega logo on it?

Appreciate your input!!

Cheers

Hpes4KS.jpg imgrc0067766695.jpg
  2. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Nov 1, 2016

This is the Omega symbol they tried to use to limit the distribution of grey market watches by Costco using copyright law...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omega_S.A._v._Costco_Wholesale_Corp.

It started after a specific date, but off hand I'm not sure what that date was...often referred to as an anti-counterfeit globe...

Cheers, Al

WatchVaultNYC likes this.
  3. E30only Nov 1, 2016

Wow, thanks for the prompt reply.

So if i understand correctly, only watches sold in the US by an AD after a certain date comes with the Omega symbol?

Thanks

4. E30only Nov 1, 2016

But i note that some limited version Omega issued for the Japanese market also have this Omega symbol on the caseback too.

5. iyzmi Apr 18, 2019

Hi All,

Bumping this old thread as I have the exact same question and have not been able to come up with a satisfying answer. I understand the origins of the Omega globe symbol but have not been able to confirm if there is any reason a 3539.50 would not have it. This ref came out well after the Costco case and 99% of the pics I've seen have the logo. As OP mentioned, even watches sold in Japan have it so I don't believe it is accurate to say it was only found on US watches.

My assumption is that if a 3539.50 is missing the etching, the only possible explanation is that it was polished off at some point, which in my opinion would reduce the second-hand value. Can anybody confirm whether Omega would have sold any of these without the logo originally?

6. WatchVaultNYC Apr 18, 2019

The globe logo were found in non-US watches, so Omega could prevent the importation of them INTO the US.

Also, the Costo case has been going up and down the courts for years (last update on Wikipedia was 2015). No reason for Omega to stop putting on the globe logo on foreign market watches until the day you stop seeing Omegas being sold at Costco, which you still do

While in my experience, I will tend to agree that the majority of 3539.50s I have personally handled in the last 2 years AND have come from overseas have the globe logo (90%, sample size 30+ watches), to make the assumption that the ONLY possible explanation is that a 3539.50 without a globe logo had that logo polished off has no basis

Edited Apr 18, 2019
  7. iyzmi Apr 18, 2019

My assumption is based around the fact that I have only been able to find pictures of two watches with the logo missing. One seller has specifically listed their's as having been polished, and the other has no specific knowledge of the watch's history but it does look like it was polished. I've searched through every sale listing, Youtube video, and written review I could find dating back to when these watches were still available brand new and cannot find any other examples of a missing globe logo. Even the pics OP used in his example appear to be an older version Speedy Reduced, so it would make sense for the logo not to be there.

Would you happen to have any pictures of 3539.50 casebacks without the globe logo? I know you've handled hundreds of these and have likely seen it all. If I could find a few more unpolished examples I would feel satisfied that some of these did in fact leave the factory without the logo for whatever reason. Otherwise the missing globe on this model just seems like an anomaly based on my findings - hence the polishing assumption.

8. iyzmi Apr 18, 2019

Just saw your edit, thank you for the additional details!

WatchVaultNYC likes this.