Forums Latest Members

Question about import duties from Canada to US

1. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Aug 31, 2016

Hi everyone,

If I buy a watch from Canada and get it delivered to a friend in the US, does anyone know what if any import duties / taxes will be assessed? How does it work ? Will the shipping company show up with the package and ask for payment on the spot, will my friend have to go pick up the package somewhere? How much of a pain would it be for the friend?

Thanks and best regards,
    S

2. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 31, 2016

Depends on many factors, such as case material, number of jewels, chronograph or not, country of origin, overall value, and carrier used.

I've seen people post a duty calculator here before, but I don't have the link for it, so maybe someone can post that if they have it.

Cheers, Al

3. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Aug 31, 2016

It is almost impossible to figure out the correct customs duties on watches coming into the US. Really. Don't believe me, look at this website:

https://dataweb.usitc.gov/scripts/tariff_current.asp

Easiest thing to do is to make sure the watch is sent declared through Canada Post, preferably using Express Mail Service (EMS) with insurance, that will connect with USPS Priority Mail when it clears customs. I have never had an item get hit with duties from USPS, even when value was fully declared. Not sure why, but the USPS is just lax about it.

If you use a carrier like FedEx or UPS, I'm pretty sure that they will present you with a bill for the duties (probably figured incorrectly in their favor with a hefty surcharge) and have a credit card swiper on hand to take payment.

I can guarantee that two identical watches sent to the US from Canada will come in with two different amounts of duty using common carriers.
    gatorcpa

4. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Aug 31, 2016

In my experience, it's fairly easy and painless to send a watch into the US from Canada. they seem a little lax on collecting anything and taxes are quite low (compared to coming into Canada anyway). Get the seller to send via Canada Post Express. should arrive in a few days. If the value is less than a few thousand, I imagine there won't be anything to pay upon receipt... YMMV of course. If they do assess and charge, it will be due upon delivery. I wouldn't expect that the person receiving would need to go to collect it (assuming they're available when the delivery is made).

5. WatchWarlock Aug 31, 2016

Received a >$1000 watch via Canada Post with no issues at all.

6. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Aug 31, 2016

Thanks gents, value would be way under 1000 US.
    The key question is whether there's any chance my friend would have to go somewhere to collect a packet.
    That's something I cannot ask for.
    Can USPS reschedule a delivery on request if someone's not around on the first attempt?

Another question, if duties are assessed through FedEx or such, can that ever come close to the 20% VAT assessed in Europe? An item worth 400-500 euros will be taxed about 100 euros upon entry.

7. WatchWarlock Aug 31, 2016

If it is through USPS, it will go to a mailbox just like any regular mail. If it requires signature confirmation, and your friend isn't home, a note is left to schedule a redelivery or the option of local post office pick up.

Syrte likes this.
  8. cvrle1 Aug 31, 2016

USPS is the key. I live in Canada but ship to US a lot of things as it is cheaper this way (and pickup across the border). I shipped guitars to US from Japan that were over $1K and no duties or taxes of any sort. If you go with UPS or FedEx, good luck. They killed me once with all the crap fees and such.

9. abrod520 Aug 31, 2016

If your friend can't go pick something up, I don't recommend USPS - they often make one attempt maximum to deliver a package, then you'll have to go wait in line. With FedEx or UPS, they'll usually give you two or three attempts before you have to pick it up. On an item with a low value, I doubt they'll charge duty either.

Since it's an international shipment and will require a signature, I'd recommend having it delivered to your friend's place of work, where someone will be available during the day to sign.

10. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Aug 31, 2016

From Fedex ... They bill you via snail mail.

11. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Aug 31, 2016

Thanks gents, all of that is quite helpful, much appreciated !

12. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Aug 31, 2016

I'll be surprised if you pay any duty at all, but it is more likely with FedEx/UPS than Canada post. USPS, in my area ar least, will make more than one delivery attempt.

I've only been charged duty only once in dozens of transactions that were properly declared. And even then it was only a couple of hundred on a watch declared at more than few thousand.

13. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 1, 2016

You should read the question again...

14. demollo Sep 1, 2016

15. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Sep 1, 2016

Honestly if I'm buying or selling a high priced watch, FedEx is my shipper of choice. Better controls, visibility and frankly reliability. I'll happily take the hit on import duty. Plus if there is a problem in customs they handle it. (especially if you are set up in their system). While I respect USPS and their brethren ... I don't completely trust them.