Forums Latest Members

Question about Heuer Cal 15 chronograph operation

1. Rasputin The Mad Monk of OF Mar 15, 2020

Greetings. For those who are familiar with this caliber, is it typical for the minute register hand to partially advance and then return to zero a few seconds after initially starting the chronograph from zero?

2. Rasputin The Mad Monk of OF Mar 15, 2020

Anyone familiar with this calibre to comment?

3. Mark020 not the sharpest pencil in the ΩF drawer Mar 17, 2020

No it is not. It should run untill stopped and return to zero after pushing the button. It sounds like you need a service :)

4. Rasputin The Mad Monk of OF Mar 17, 2020

Hehe...I just serviced it. The chronograph sweep second runs as does the minute register. They also return to zero after pushing reset.

Apparently I was not clear. When I first start the chronograph, as the sweep second crosses about the 5 second mark, I notice the minute register hand creep slightly forward by a barely perceptible amount but quickly returns to zero. Then as the sweep second crosses one minute, the minute counter hand moves to "one minute". I am curious if this initial "blip" by the minute counter is normal? None of my other chronographs do this.

5. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 18, 2020

Most likely you turned a screw that was actually an eccentric for adjusting the sliding gear...and now it needs to be adjusted back to it's proper position.

Usually when this happens it will cause the little movement of the minute counter on every cycle of the finger that trips the sliding gear, which then trips the minute counter. This shows the condition on a Valjoux 7730 - different movement but the principle is the same. First clip shows the movement side and dial side before the adjustment, and the second clip after:

The sliding gear was too deep, so small adjustment of the eccentric is all that's needed. This is basic stuff, but if you can't get it adjusted, you should take it to a watchmaker - any competent watchmaker can adjust this for you.

Cheers, Al