Forums Latest Members

Question about hallmarks on vitage gold Longines

1. oldoaktree Cant distinguish between "fake" and "ugly". Mar 12, 2017

Hello folks, I once again come back to this forum to get help from all the experienced collectors here.

I have just come across a nice vintage Longines that I am thinking of buying.
    Something struck me as odd though: the case itself seems not to have the customary Swiss gold Helvetia hallmark, only the caseback.

Here is the watch in question: http://www.ebay.ie/itm/LONGINES-FLA...257367?hash=item41bf0e43d7:g:MVwAAOSwZ8ZW~YjkPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

Does anyone else find it odd that there are no hallmarks on the main body of the case?

2. Jwit Not a doctor, but plays one on ΩF Mar 12, 2017

I cannot comment on the hallmarks because I do not have sufficient knowledge about them. However after looking at the watch I am thinking the dial may have been relumed.
    The hour plots look more white/grey than the hands and the edges of the plots look like they match the hands. Possibly new lume added on top of the old?Additionally they are slightly brighter in the lume shot than the hands. Just my $0.02. Nice looking watch though! :D

3. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Mar 12, 2017

The hallmark could be on the back of a lug, there's no clear pictures of the lugs backs and sides. Or it could be a gold back cover on a gold filled case, scurvy things those eBay pirates... Don't trust 'em!