Question about double barrells on Planet Ocean

Hi,

A question to anybody that has a Planet Ocean watch with two barrels: When you wind the watch and look at the barrells do they both spin while winding? I would expect so, but since I don't have a Planet Ocean I cannot verify it.

Reason for the weird question is that I have been offered a Planet Ocean (232.30.46.21.01.003) at very good price, but without papers. I already checked the serial number at the watch register and it returns clean. But that is not guarantee that is not a fake.

Therefore I was wondering if both barrells get winded at the same time. That would be a confirmation of an original watch since chinese fake movements usually do not implement the 2 barrels (one works and the other is just for decoration). But I don't know exactly how a double barrell system works, and therefore my question here.

Thank you in beforehands

Best Regards

I would post detailed, focused pictures of the movement here. (If the seller refuses to send such pictures, that’s a decent sign that something is wrong.)

Assuming the watch comes with the full bracelet (all original links), confirming the weight of the watch is another reliable-ish way to determine whether it’s authentic. That reference with all links should weigh 230 grams, plus or minus a gram or two. Unlikely a knockoff would get that just right. If you’re having doubts see if the seller can send a pic of the watch on a scale.

If you’re concerned, though, maybe just seek out a more trustworthy seller. These aren’t rare watches. A well respected seller is bound to have one eventually if not already.

I assume you know this already but just in case: as the weight I mentioned confirms—nearly a quarter kilogram, or half a pound—and nearly 46mm in diameter and nearly 52mm across the wrist—this is a huge, massive watch. Depending on wrist size and shape it can appear comical. Just want to make sure you’ve actually tried one on—?

You wont be able to tell authenticity from the barrels since you can't see or feel them moving. Better is to look at the balance wheel and if you can see it escapement. The the real one has a free sprung balance and is regulated by screws on the wheel, the fake stuff has the old school regulator but disguised and the additions on the wheel if present are clearly not for regulation. When you look it's pretty obvious really. Otherwise they do look similar and can fool the unwary.

Like 2
When you wind the watch and look at the barrells do they both spin while winding?

No - when winding, the barrel arbors are turning to wind the spring. The barrels turn slowly to drive the movement - they don't turn in conjunction with the winding function.

No - when winding, the barrel arbors are turning to wind the spring. The barrels turn slowly to drive the movement - they don't turn in conjunction with the winding function.
First of all thank you to everybody for the answers and comments. However I was still confused until I combined this last answer with the description from Deafcon. Now I see that for once I used the wrong names. What I see turning on the back of the watch when I wind (I know that for a fact as I have another single barrel Omega) is the winding wheel which is on top of the barrel. So, according to what deafcon writes, in a dual barrel movement both wind and unwind at the same time.

So back to my search for a unique and sure way to tell if a dual barrel omega is genuine or is a fake, that would be to look at the winding wheels and barrels while winding. The wheels must both turn and the barrels must both stand still.

That is great. The other idea to meet the seller downtown in a cafè and pull out a scale sounded also good :) but this day I am afraid that fakes are precise in that respect too.

In any case thanks again for the consideration. I agree, if the least in doubt I will drop the deal.

Finally, the following comment seems also a very good tip:
You wont be able to tell authenticity from the barrels since you can't see or feel them moving. Better is to look at the balance wheel and if you can see it escapement. The the real one has a free sprung balance and is regulated by screws on the wheel, the fake stuff has the old school regulator but disguised and the additions on the wheel if present are clearly not for regulation. When you look it's pretty obvious really. Otherwise they do look similar and can fool the unwary.
Unfortunately I am not sure what to look for as I don't have the watch in front me, so I don't know hos it is supposed to look.
I only have this picture but not sure it helps for anything:
s!AjETnoHUZiARyf9txHbK6NlilPbH5A

IMG_6248.jpg
Thanks a lot

Pretty sure you meant to write "baarrells," because they are double. :D

@Axel69 another way to (almost) absolutely determine whether or not this is a real movement is to time it. The 8500 runs at 25,200 BPH. Omega is almost the only producer that uses that beat rate and currently there are no (currently) fake movements that replicate that beat rate.

Even a cell phone app like Watch Accuracy Meter will easily be able to determine this. Getting the seller to take a short video shouldn't be that difficult but if you can meet them in person you can perform this test yourself.

@Axel69 another way to (almost) absolutely determine whether or not this is a real movement is to time it. The 8500 runs at 25,200 BPH. Omega is almost the only producer that uses that beat rate and currently there are no (currently) fake movements that replicate that beat rate.

Even a cell phone app like Watch Accuracy Meter will easily be able to determine this. Getting the seller to take a short video shouldn't be that difficult but if you can meet them in person you can perform this test yourself.
There you go! Always learning something new and valuable in this forum! Thanks! I really had missed that. Strangely Omega does not even write it on their own site. That was exactly what I needed.

Thanks