Forums Latest Members
  1. APIOQM Dec 20, 2017

Hey guys,

I recently purchased a replacement crystal for my '73 Seamaster, which I understand is one of the tension ring type. What came out of my watch (with very little effort) does not match what came in the mail, as per the photo below.

[​IMG]

On the right is what came out of my watch, which looks to contain an extra ring which was possibly glued into the watch case. So, what are the steps from here, to get the new crystal installed into my watch? Any input is very much appreciated!

2. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Dec 20, 2017

It looks like you have removed the bezel with the crystal so you will need to remove it from the old one and reinstall it on the watch.

3. redpcar Dec 20, 2017

Show us a pic of your watch. Looks like you just need to pop out the xstal from the bezel, install the new xstal and snap back on your watch. More pics would help so we can know more about what you are dealing with.... :)

4. palkastu Dec 20, 2017

As @Stewart H is saying, the outer ring on your old crystal is the bezel ring.
    Ive done the same thing when changing crystals on a couple of my Seamaster Devilles.
    It should pop back in place, but be careful when you remove it from the old crystal to prevent the bezel from cracking.
    Take the watch to a watchmaker if youre unsure of how to reassemble it :)

5. APIOQM Dec 20, 2017

Does the crystal come out of the front or the back of the bezel ring? Also, the bezel ring does not snap into watch case, it seemed to be glued in or something. Does the tension ring on the crystal expand the bezel ring so it's secure?

Thanks for the comments guys, I do have a press, and I'll post some more photos when I'm back home.

6. redpcar Dec 20, 2017

Pictures of the watch needed to see what we are dealing with

7. palkastu Dec 20, 2017

Im in deep water here, because Ive only changed crystals on the Seamaster Deville-model a couple of times. Im sure there are more competent people who will answer you in detail.
    What I do remember is that the bezel popped back in place when I fiftted the crystal.

Im sure more pictures will help as @redpcar already has mentioned :)

8. APIOQM Dec 20, 2017

So, I managed to press out the old crystal from the bezel ring (it comes out of the front). Now the only question remaining is how do I reattach the bezel ring to the case before pressing in the new crystal? As mentioned, it seemed to be glued in place (not very well), and I can't think of any other way it might be secured. Below are pictures of the case and back-side of the bezel ring, as well as the bezel ring inserted into the case.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Dec 21, 2017

What is the case number?

10. APIOQM Dec 21, 2017

My apologies, I meant to include that.

Case number: 1660203

It's a 1973 Seamaster Automatic with the Cal. 1010 movement.

11. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 21, 2017

Press on the bezel, then press in the crystal - using a proper crystal press with the appropriate dies...

12. APIOQM Dec 21, 2017

The bezel ring does not press or clip into the case. Its outer diameter is the same as the inside diameter of the case, so it inserts but is not well secured.

13. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 21, 2017

You don't have to listen, but I'm just trying to answer your questions mate....good luck with the project.

Cheers, Al

14. APIOQM Dec 21, 2017

[​IMG]

15. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 21, 2017

Indeed...

16. redpcar Dec 21, 2017

Al (Archer) is a watchmaker certified for Omega.

I think it is assumed that the bezel does not clip into the case. It is a press fit meaning that there is some interference and the tension between the surfaces holds it in place (like automotive applications) against a gasket.

The crystal must be compressed slightly with a special die/tool press in order to secure in the bezel.

This is not as easy as one might think for a proper seal to be achieved. .............of course it helps to have the proper tools. Thus the recommendation of taking it to a certified watchmaker :)

17. Shabbaz Dec 21, 2017

The last time I tried to replace the plexi I ruined the watch. I told myself never to touch a watch again... was a nice tool though. I use it now for my kids when they dont listen...

Screenshot_20171221-173248.jpg
  18. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 21, 2017

That tool is only used for very specific types of crystals - not like the one that is the subject of this thread for example...

19. Shabbaz Dec 21, 2017

That's one reason more why I should stay away from fixing watches...

jetkins likes this.