Forums Latest Members
  1. Stevosaurus_Rex Dec 17, 2017

Hi,

My name is Steve. I am brand new here, I found this forum when I was doing research. I recently inherited a Constellation that was my grandfather's. It was in really rough shape, so I did some research and found out that you have to mail them to Omega in order to be repaired.

So, I mailed it there. I got an estimate back to restore it, and the estimate is $2300. I have been trying to research if this is an astronomical amount or if it is reasonable. I am having trouble getting a baseline of value for these watches because there are so many different types, in different conditions, not to mention the counterfeits.

I don't have a strong sentimental attachment to it, but I would like to have it restored. I don't want to pay $2300 to have a watch that is then worth $1000 though.

I am hoping that you guys can give me some insight and advice. I am including a screen grab from the omega website to hopefully provide needed info.

Thank you so much for your time,

Steven.

omega info.jpg

2. BenBagbag Dec 17, 2017

That is a crazy price. No you do not have to spend that kind of money.
    Post pictures you have of the watch here.
    No, it will not cost $2300. Find an independent watchmaker who is sympathetic to vintage.

noelekal, mydeafcat and Noddyman like this.
  3. WYO_Watch Dec 17, 2017

Steven,

Don’t send it to Omega and don’t pay $2300 to restore it. There will be much better and cheaper alternatives.

Do post pictures (Big high quality ones) and you should hear some advice on where it can get serviced. Also tell us where you’re from.

mydeafcat likes this.
  4. Stevosaurus_Rex Dec 17, 2017

Thanks for the quick responses!

I thought it seemed super high, but I am so new to these watches that I wanted to make sure. I declined the service. As soon as I get the watch back, I will post good pictures. I am from Reno, NV by the way.

5. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Dec 17, 2017

For $2,300 you will get a new watch with new (but not necessarily correct) parts. Collector value will be destroyed. Omega will warranty it for two years.

For somewhere around 10% of that price, the movement can be serviced to run reasonably if not worn every day. It will not look like a new watch.

You pays your money and takes your choice.
    gatorcpa

GuiltyBoomerang and mydeafcat like this.
  6. Stevosaurus_Rex Dec 21, 2017

Hello everyone!

I got my watch back, I took some pictures from a couple angles, with and without flash. I hope this is sufficient. If you want to see something specific, let me know.

I appreciate any advice and/or direction that you can give me.

Thanks!!
    IMG_1779.jpg IMG_1780.jpg IMG_1781.jpg IMG_1782.jpg IMG_1785.jpg IMG_1786.jpg IMG_1787.jpg IMG_1788.jpg

7. Temprus Dec 21, 2017

really look very bad. I think six - seven hundred will be the fair price to make this watch look like new, but obviously, restored to new.

8. Shabbaz Dec 21, 2017

Looks nice. Pictures a bit blurry. It's a pie pan and those hands look original. Keep it as it is. Just bring it to a watchmaker for a service of the movement (no omega watchmaker because they are way to expensive). If the plexi is omega (you can find a small omega symbol in the centre) try to polish it if the scratches are not to deep. Cant see on these pictures. If you want to replace the plexi it will cost eur 15 for a generic plexi and eur 75 for a omega plexi. Furthermore, ask your watchmaker to open it and let him make pictures of the movement and inside of the caseback so you know the caliber, referencenumber and modelnumber. Then google the modelnumber (number on the inside of the caseback) together with omega and then you will find everything you want to know. If I would ask my watchmaker to fix this one up it would be around EUR 200 which would include a new generic plexi and a complete service. Hope this helps!

9. Shabbaz Dec 21, 2017

A new plexi and a service can bring a watch back to life. For example. Take a look at these before and after pictures. And I only replaced the plexi and gave it a full service.

Screenshot_20170625-112323.png 20170715_124208.jpg
    kkt, davidswiss, Vitezi and 2 others like this.
  10. Shabbaz Dec 22, 2017

How do you know it's a cal 551?

According to my info the cal 551 was used from 1959 up to 1967 and this cal was used for 6 different modelnumbers of the constellation:
    14381/2

11. Noddyman Dec 22, 2017

All the correct bits appear to be there but it definitely needs a good dose of TLC. The reference is likely a 14381 fitted with a cal 551. The star is not correctly aligned and the cross hair appears to cut through the word Constellation in the wrong place. Some straight on photos would allow us to make a better judgement on the dial.

Passover likes this.
  12. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Dec 22, 2017

Agreed that better pictures are required.
    From what we can see, I think the dial has been redone as the upper text looks wrong.

Given the condition , I don’t think there is a huge collectors value in the watch.

If you want to wear it as a momento of your grandfather have it serviced and enjoy wearing it for what it is.
    If you intend selling it, clean the case gently with a toothbrush and put it on eBay and let it find its market value.

Hope that helps.

13. ConElPueblo Dec 22, 2017

Which movement would you expect instead..?

14. Shabbaz Dec 22, 2017

321...100%

15. Edward53 Dec 22, 2017

OP's watch looks good to me. I think that dial is original. Everything's in the right place, the crosshairs look fine and so do the fonts, especially Constellation which is notoriously difficult for rediallers to get right. Any apparent fuzziness of the upper text is due IMO to the state of the crystal. For my money that's a nice 14381 that wants the crystal polishing out, servicing and nothing else. Omega's quote is totally and utterly outrageous and they should be ashamed of themselves. A great little watch!

What on Earth...??!!

ConElPueblo and cicindela like this.
  16. BenBagbag Dec 22, 2017

Ummm... Isn't the star reapplied incorrectly?

conniestarmisaligned.png

17. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Dec 22, 2017

Not sure that this is just distortion in this case - but would like to see clearer pictures to be sure
    Screen Shot 2017-12-22 at 17.58.29.png

18. BenBagbag Dec 22, 2017

Looks like this watch has seen some work in its life. Clearer pics will tell all.

Dear @Stevosaurus_Rex try taking pictures in natural light or in a bright room (bathrooms sometimes do the trick) haha. No flash.

We'd love to help you more and figure out how to get it restored best. Where are you located?

19. Shabbaz Dec 22, 2017

That's was an attempt to be funny!!!

ConElPueblo likes this.
  20. Noddyman Dec 22, 2017

On that enlarged pic @BenBagbag posted the crosshair does not go through the centre of the O in chronometer which it should on this reference. It could be distortion and I am happy to wrong but I think it’s a redial.