Forums Latest Members
  1. nicks Aug 9, 2019

Hi, all.

I just acquired a Constellation ref 2692 7 SC in trade. It's from 1953, has a bumper 354 movement, nice original waffle dial with arrowhead markers -- great look, and apparently correct and original. Steel case; I like that a lot.

At some point in its more than sixty years, the original medallion on the caseback was replaced with a steel version. Not the caseback; just the medallion. This was disclosed to me, so no shenanigans by the person who traded with me.

In ant event, I've looked at a lot of pictures of these, but I'm still not sure about a few things, so asking the community for help.

Does anyone know if the medallions on these were originally gold, or could some have been produced in steel?

Is it common for Omega to replace medallions when they are worn, or was this repair done by a watchmaker cannibalizing another caseback?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Biezmez likes this.
  2. seekingseaquest Aug 9, 2019

Should be gold. Can you share a photo?

You just missed out on this one on eBay a few days ago..

08FACDE9-ECF7-43B2-B484-6F9156A0F02A.jpeg

Benbradstock and Biezmez like this.
  3. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Aug 10, 2019

The general rule is that all Constellations had a gold medallion up to the change over of the case reference numbers (with IIRC some exceptions for doglegs)
    After that, gold and gold cap Connies had a gold medallion (gold - embossed, gold cap - applied) and SS cases had a steel medallion.
    As far as I am aware, where a Connie has a steel medallion, it is an integral part of the case back (embossed) and not applied like the gold ones.
    It would be very interesting to see a loose steel medallion - so pictures would be useful.

Benbradstock likes this.
  4. Caliber561 Aug 10, 2019

Pretty sure that was a service replacement, probably from the late 60s or the early 70s. The engraving had -22 or some similar number on it.

Biezmez likes this.
  5. nicks Aug 10, 2019

Here's a picture. By "service replacement" do you mean that Omega would have installed this? And if it was Omega (actually, even if it was a local shop), it's oddly in a strange position relative to the rest of the case.

image.jpeg
  6. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Aug 10, 2019

By service replacement, we mean a part that Omega would have either installed at the factory if they were doing the service, or would have sold to a watchmaker for them to do so.

I have never seen a Ref. 2652 caseback with a medallion like that. My guess is that the medallion is an aftermarket replica, made in steel to replace an original 14K gold version that was lost. I have seen gold replicas or sale on eBay for years.

I don't know if they were solid gold.
    gatorcpa

Benbradstock likes this.
  7. nicks Aug 10, 2019

Thanks, everyone. I'm going to see if I can find a replacement caseback in someone's parts hoard, and perhaps see whether my friendly neighbourhood Omega AD will replace it with a new or NOS medallion at a reasonable cost.

The rest of the watch is in good vintage condition, running well. From what I can tell, this one is relatively uncommon (steel), and I plan to hold on to it for a while.

Thanks again for all the help!

ConElPueblo likes this.
  8. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Aug 10, 2019

That’s really not a bad representation of a medallion but I can’t understand why anyone would make a loose steel medallion - unless perhaps to paint it gold?

Finding a replacement case back for this age of watch will be difficult.
    Finding a loose gold medallion in good condition will be even more difficult.
    (Omega won’t be able to replace the case back or medallion for you)

If the medallion on your watch can be removed (or even if not) it may be worth considering having it gold plated until a permanent solution can be decided upon.

Benbradstock and ConElPueblo like this.
  9. ConElPueblo Aug 10, 2019

Lets see some photos of the beast! :)

10. nicks Aug 10, 2019

Thanks. I am also puzzled as to why someone would make one of these....

Finding an exact replacement caseback is a real longshot, for sure.

A period correct medallion should be easier, perhaps from a trashed case that someone has held on to. Friends with parts.....

But now I'm curious about how the medallions were attached to the caseback. How common is it for them to detach? If I can find a scrap case, is it easy for a watchmaker to swap the medallions?

I expect these are solid gold, but I'm open to being incorrect on that.

And a dial picture to follow, thanks for asking.

11. nicks Aug 10, 2019

image.jpeg

Here's the front. Before you guys jump all over the flaws, let me say that as a collector I prefer watches that look like old soldiers, rather than safe queens or NOS. I like to be able to wear them without fretting about adding a new scratch or ding. I love and collect bumper movements and arrow markers, so this one checks all my boxes.

In my experience, waffle dials don't hold the paint as well as flat dials. I have also seen pictures of other examples of these without the "Swiss" or "Swiss Made" showing.

That said, all comments welcome. Thanks.

Benbradstock likes this.
  12. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Aug 10, 2019

Looks like a chemical cleaning was performed on the dial. A real shame though since it is an uncommon configuration.

Benbradstock likes this.
  13. nicks Aug 11, 2019

Thanks everyone. I really appreciate the help and comments. I'm wearing the watch and it looks great. Maybe stunning.

I'm pretty sure I can source a gold medallion, but curious about what work is involved in swapping it out.

Someone earlier mentioned "service replacement" and so I'm wondering if Omega replaced these if the fell off (did they?), or wore out.

Info on that would be a good way to conclude the conversation. Thanks.

14. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Aug 11, 2019

To my knowledge, the medallions were never sold by Omega. If you sent in a watch for factory service without one, they would simply replace the whole caseback and medallion.

I don’t know what Omega does when they no longer have the casebacks. Nothing, I suspect.
    gatorcpa

Peemacgee likes this.
  15. nicks Aug 11, 2019

Interesting.... I will poke around and report back.

16. cristos71 Aug 12, 2019

There are fake medaillons on EBay, but i wouldn't recocomend that.

Finding an original loose medallion I would say is next to impossible and don't forget it may not even match the 2652 reference case medallion if you do find one as there are some subtle differences to the 50's medallions.

I was searching for a 2782 medallion or complete case back. I just recently found a NOS case back....It only took four years!

Biezmez likes this.