Forums Latest Members
  1. fbf Jan 2, 2019

Hi all. I am new to Speedmasters. Recently had pleasure to play with a couple of them and got me really hooked on the vintage Omegas. I would like to buy one of the 145-022 from my birth year specifically this .78 .
    Everything looks correct to my untrained eyes but I am a little unsure about the case. It seems to me the case has been excessively polished or could it be just poor angle of the shots?
    would love to hear your opinions.

Thank you

https://tinyurl.com/y9kv6lll

2. Davidt Jan 2, 2019

You'll get more responses if you post pictures rather than just links.

3. Cipolla Jan 2, 2019

On picture 4/12 with special care to the scratch the case looked at minimum a bit polished. For better resolution of eBay pictures look with a computer. The resolution of eBay pictures is automatic reduced when you check them with iPhones.
    Good luck on your hunt
    Kind regards
    Martin

fbf likes this.
  4. gdupree Jan 2, 2019

If you're looking for an actual birth year watch, keep in mind that the date code of -78 in the reference number doesn't actually reflect it's year of manufacture. Typically the reference started production around that year, but continued with the same reference all the way through the 80's. The one you posted was probably made in 1981 according to I Love My Speedmaster.

beyond that it looks correct to me, but a rather chewed up case. The movement however looks in good shape, and the price isn't horrible.

efauser likes this.
  5. fbf Jan 2, 2019

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. fbf Jan 2, 2019

Thank you for the response.
    I checked the serial # somewhere else and it showed as 1984 (as what seller claimed)
    I was concerned about the condition of the case as I haven't seen / held enough speedmasters to have a good insight.

7. gdupree Jan 2, 2019

Gotcha. Your intuitions are correct that the case is in somewhat poor shape. But honestly I'm not sure if it's really that over-polished, but rather just beat up. It doe look like some of the brushing on the top and sides of the case are visible, but the sharp edges have all been beat up and dulled. The lighting might also be doing the case a disservice as well.

The dial and hands look to be in rather good shape, and the movement looks very clean (still plan on it needing a service, though). All-in-all, I don't think it would be too bad of a buy actually. I would try to get the price a little lower so that you can factor in a service and still come out at an OK price.