Forums Latest Members
  1. Aussie Jim Jun 3, 2015

I have just bought a 145.022 with the 1039 bracelet. It feels insubstantial when I wear it, and I guess I have anxiety that it is sturdy. The links are a little sloppy, but there is no real evidence that it is going to break. The ends jingle a bit on the case. Now this almost certainly seems very foolish to those of you with experience.

I also have a 21st century Speedmaster and a Seamaster Pro, both with bracelets that are completely different kettles of fish, almost too solid.

I am seriously considering getting some leather straps and just putting the bracelet somewhere carefully wrapped up in case I ever want to sell (seems unlikely).

Should I just stop worrying about this and just wear it?

2. scruffy Jun 3, 2015

I was in the same boat. I have a 1039 bracelet that came with my 145.022-69. However, it felt so thin and light that it was driving me nuts and I ended up getting an 1171 w/ 633 end links from Ofrei. For me it was a great choice; I'm very happy with the 1171. It has rounded links vs the flat links of the 1039 and it feels more comfortable and substantial. The links are hollow so it's lighter than a modern 1998 bracelet. It will be kinda jangly sounding though - just the nature of the beast.

3. Slevin kelevra Jun 3, 2015

The 1039 is cooler looking!

The 1171 is a good mix of vintage and modern-ish...

ricardorio likes this.
  4. pascs Jun 3, 2015

I really like the look of the 1039 but when they are worn they feel really flimsy. Even when one is in very good condition they feel very light.

If you have been used to a heavy bracelet then it will take a lot to get used to the lightness of a 1039.

As said already the 1171 is a good compromise especially if you can find a good early one with the narrower clasp. As you can buy the 1171 brand new then its easy to get a nice condition one. Alternatively the Speedmaster looks great on leather straps and also the Nasa velcro straps

5. JohnSteed Jun 3, 2015

No...Seems the sort of discovery process many have, ahhhh. Personal taste, really. You'll settle on what feels good & looks good on your wrist.

Also try horween leather as these are supremely comfortable

6. Aussie Jim Jun 3, 2015

Thanks so much. This band is correct for the vintage though isn't it (70 model 145.022)? The flimsy nature really disturbs me. Doesnt feel right for such a solid watch. I suppose there may be takers out there in the market for it, but I think I should probably keep it.

I have a few straps in mind from Heuerville, and may give these a go before trying the 1171.

7. JohnSteed Jun 3, 2015

1039 flimsy? Well, I like em!

There's a market for them since tastes vary on these

Slevin kelevra likes this.
  8. Queue Eat any good books lately? Jun 3, 2015

1039 looks so cool though....

micampe and dennisthemenace like this.
  9. Queue Eat any good books lately? Jun 3, 2015

I took mine off temporarily to wear a NATO made to support cancer, but I can't wait to put it back on again.

10. scruffy Jun 3, 2015

Yup, it's correct for the vintage - still drove me nuts though :)
    And there's no way I'm selling my 1039 even though I'm not planning on using it. It's a part of my watch and I don't want to split the pair as crazy as that seems.

11. watchlovr Jun 4, 2015

I do think they suit the straight lugged Speedies better,
    The cases are lighter and the end pieces sit better imo.

12. Zuke Jun 4, 2015

I had avoided mounting my 1039 on my SM300 for the longest time as I felt the same as you. It just didn't feel as though it was substantial enough to take daily wearing and the last thing I wanted to do was ruin it or stretch out the links.

It came as a great surprise that the 1039 actually wears extremely well, and feels way more durable than I would have ever guessed. I love it so much that I still haven't taken the bracelet off. I highly recommend this bracelet.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Edited Jun 4, 2015
    tdn-dk and micampe like this.
  13. Aussie Jim Jun 4, 2015

Thanks for the advice. I have decided I will continue with it for a while and see how I like it. A little adjustment will probably make it less "jangly".

Love that 300. V v nice