Forums Latest Members
  1. Chye Feb 22, 2018

Hi All,

Anyone knows how to remove links from this kind of bracelet?
    I have managed to remove links by unscrewing their attached rivets from the same bracelet, but these links are the ones near the clasp. I am looking to remove the one that would nearest to the lugs of the watch.

O1156 P1.jpg O1156 P2.jpg O1156 P3.jpg

The link that I am hoping to remove would be the 1st link from the right of all the above 3 pictures.
    Any suggestions and help would be greatly appreciated!
    TIA!

Chye

2. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Feb 22, 2018

Just an observation, notice the plate or cap between the rivet head and the link, looks like the coupling part of a bike or motorcycle chain. Couldn't you just grind the rivet head off of one side, pry the plate off and then pry the plate off of the opposite side drawing the rivet pin back through the link?
    All the work would be on the discarded link that would be rendered useless, but how would you add it back on anyway?
    Just brainstorming, don't take this for learned knowledge.

3. Bumper Feb 22, 2018

Just adding to the brainstorming,

I would pry this open carefully, remove the last link, & close it again. The removed link should stay useable as a spare.
    upload_2018-2-23_9-37-30.png

4. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Feb 22, 2018

You're a better man than me, or at least more optimistic!

5. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Feb 22, 2018

I'd pry on this.
    1.jpg

6. wsfarrell Feb 22, 2018

That's the way I've done it on a few similar bracelets. I use a thin-bladed but stout screwdriver to open, and brass-jawed pliers to close. It's not easy to close the link back up and have it look nice. There's probably an exotic watchmaker's pliers that I don't own yet.......

Paedipod likes this.
  7. Bumper Feb 22, 2018

Lol! I've done it on a rolex riveted bracelet.

I used a screwdriver & jewellers pliers, they have smooth jaws so they dont leave marks. to close it i used a small block of wood the exact width of the link & a jewellers mallet so i didnt leave any other bend marks.

8. Chye Feb 24, 2018

Thanks all for your advice, greatly appreciated!
    I'm in the process of cleaning the 1156, 3 rounds of water and still plenty of gunk!
    Once it's reasonable cleaned, I will try to pry open the link/flap.

Chye

9. Vintagewtchzilla Feb 24, 2018

just a hint

when u remove the link then u reduce also the wide so it might look some kind off compared to the endlink

take care u use a pliers with wide ends to hold the last link so u prevent it from getting a torsion.