Forums Latest Members

Query on Vintage Omega Geneva Automatic - Help appreciated

1. Ivan009 Jan 1, 2016

Good day everyone,

I am looking at purchasing a vintage 1960s -1970s Omega Geneva Automatic. Have attached a generic picture (showing the model that I am looking at) that are grabbed from the internet and does not correspond to the exact watches that I am considering.

I have done a fair amount of research for the past week, over at this forum and various other sources on the internet. However, will appreciate the experience and expertise of the collective forum members here as purchasing vintage watch can be a minefield. I have purchase a previous vintage watch at a vintage retail shop before but have later found that the dial has been repainted and its basically a franken watch. Which have put me off from vintage for quite some time.

1) I have three models in mind. The first is more of a backup than in my priority list as the dial have been repainted. Its the best looking watch among the three but of course the watch look excellent due to polishing and other cosmetic work (aka dial repainted). I wanted something more original, more authentic, thus probably forgoing this. More or less out of contention.

2) 2nd model is a year 68 mint piece. However, there are three flaws that I observed.

a) The case is clearly polished
    b) Does not come with the original armoured hesalite crystal that is laser etched with the Omega logo
    c) The caseback whom I later discovered is not the original caseback. It's a seamaster caseback within the same era. As the outer appearance look almost the same. I assume that the repairer have replace the original caseback with something he has in stock.

However, the movement inside is a cal 565 automatic. This is rather important which I will elaborate further below.

3) 3rd model is a early 70 (year 72-74) mint piece. In even better condition than the 2nd model. The seller claimed that its almost like NOS condition. I believe its more of a marketing statement to justified the hefy premium that was place on it. The case is unpolished or very lightly polished. Everything seem excellent except for the one thing which I find it disconcerting.

a) The movement inside is cal. 1481 instead of cal. 565. I have read on the calibers information online. Cal. 565 is more appreciated in term of appearance, robustness, reliability and value than the lower costed and industrial looking 1481 movement.

The 3rd model command a premium of 40% against the 2nd model. But it come with a brand new Omega watch strap and buckle.

I have a few queries

a) 2nd model - Is the wrong caseback a killer? Will it be considered as a franken watch? It is something acceptable for collection.

b) 3rd model - The price (approximately USD1000) is much higher for the 3rd model with a supposed inferior movement than the 2nd model.

What will be your thoughts and recommendations on the above matter.

Thank you in advance for your wisdom.

Regards
    Ivan

$T2eC16N,!zEE9s3!Won3BRQn,+ou0g--60_35.JPG
  2. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jan 1, 2016

1. The watch is overpriced by a factor of 3 at least.

2. It is almost certainly a redial, but with such a low-res image, it's impossible to know for sure.

3. Case looks to be polished to a mirror finish. It was never like this when new. Steel Omegas were generally matte finished.

4. I think the movement should be a cal. 10XX, not a 565. Would need to see the case reference number to be sure.

I would recommend staying away from this watch.
    gatorcpa

PatrickJ likes this.
  3. Ivan009 Jan 1, 2016

Hi gatorcpa,

Thank you for your reply.
    The above picture as stated in the post is a generic picture that was extracted from the Internet to represent the model that I am pursuing and not the actual watch that I am considering.

However, thanks for the reply as I have learned that the case should be a matte finish which correspond to the condition of the third model.

Thank you.

Regards
    Ivan