Forums Latest Members

Quality vs Quantity in your collection?

1. Majork Dec 4, 2016

I searched for this kind of topic, but haven't found it.

So here is my question for vintage watch collectors with a budget. (The question seems irrelevant if price is not an object...)

With prices rising, "premium" brands demanding premium prices and a lot of lesser prestige brands picking up immensely:

Do you rather collect a few watches of "premium" brands or spend your budget on a variety of similar looking models at a smaller price?

I'm talking Rolex, Omega, UG, Heuer and the likes compared to Hamilton, Leonidas, Dugena or Angelus.

Looking forward to you comments.

M

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GuiltyBoomerang likes this.
  2. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Dec 4, 2016

I would toss in a caution, quality and price don't always go together,
    For example, Hamilton watches from the thirties through the fifties can be had cheaply and are as good as anything out there, certainly of better quality than my forties Rolex.

Very good quality can be had at very reasonable prices if you don't get stuck on the labels.

3. WatchVaultNYC Dec 4, 2016

I can't speak for anyone else, but if I'm exploring other brands, I'd go for quantity first. This may include beaters. When I know enough to like a brand, then I can decide to invest in quality. You can always sell with little loss if you buy at the right price.

4. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Dec 4, 2016

With a limited budget - few pieces of the best quality is the way to go. The thing is before you become knowledgeable enough to discern quality you would have gone through more than just a few pieces!

STANDY, NT931, Darlinboy and 10 others like this.
  5. WatchVaultNYC Dec 4, 2016

I just went through this with Longines. Bought one, liked it, bought more. Then started selling. Then realized that the nice one was the first one I bought (and the first one that sold) argh!

Larry S, GuiltyBoomerang and Uniqez like this.
  6. TTG Suffers from watch FOMO. Dec 4, 2016

Been there done that, at one time had over 30 pieces and have dwindled the collection to teens, give and take.

Larry S and GuiltyBoomerang like this.
  7. styggpyggeno1 ΩF Enforcer ....and thread killer Dec 4, 2016

What are you asking exactly?

First I read it as "Quality vs Quantity". Then you confuse things by saying "premium" and "lesser prestige brands".

Are you asking if to buy few premium versus more of lesser prestige brands - i e big name versus small name?

If so - I recommend you to let the quality factor go - as it confuses things immensely. Quality as a timepiece/movement/engineering or quality as in condition (?) - makes it even worse...

You can hoard quality (as in timepiece/movement/engineering) vintage watches on a very limited budget as long as you do not go for the more famous brands. And live happily ever after.

Or you can buy few of the famous ones. (And not necessarily get quality - as in timepiece/movement/engineering)

In the end it might add upp to the same amount of money.

What are your intentions for your collection is the main question.

One thing is certain though - quality as in condition is the key to any approach. Condition, condition, condition, etc. Famous or not famous brand.

Edited Dec 4, 2016
    STANDY, Jwit, Willem023 and 1 other person like this.
  8. ulackfocus Dec 4, 2016

Buy'em all and sort'em out later.

Okay, seriously..... quality ALWAYS trumps quantity. Know when you find that out definitively? When you go to sell one. Average watches get a few "meh" reactions, while excellent condition specimens get "HOLY FECKEN SHEEYAT!!! I can't believe he's selling that! I GOTTA BUY IT!!!!".

STANDY, bazamu, Jwit and 8 others like this.
  9. styggpyggeno1 ΩF Enforcer ....and thread killer Dec 4, 2016

Ah - but you are talking about the ever so true (quality as in) condition rule. Is that really what he is asking about?

10. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Dec 4, 2016

In order to learn, you need to buy and sell. Buy one, buy another...sell one, buy another, sell another. Constantly upgrade your collection.

I am going through a consolidation now, getting down to 10, all excellent examples.

If your play your cards right, you can hustle into some nice pieces over time.

Good luck.

Fewer better pieces is always the best.

bazamu, Jwit, GuiltyBoomerang and 2 others like this.
  11. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Dec 4, 2016

2 collections are necessary, a private dream list and an interesting hobby list.
    Attempt to break even while dabbling with your hobby while peeling an eye for your dreams.

My hobby may end up at 25+ (I have a dozen or so), while my dreams are 5 watches (I have 1!)

Jwit, Darlinboy and GuiltyBoomerang like this.
  12. meganfox17 Dec 4, 2016

Consolidate .The Enicars & the Ebel El Primero Chronographs are highly collectable & worth more than its weight in gold someday [​IMG][​IMG]

Edited Dec 4, 2016
  13. Uniqez Dec 4, 2016

I went through the stage of buying a lot, then ended up selling everything for peanuts(kept only two watches with sentimental value) and started everything from the scratch.
    Now, I'm better off saving up some founds and buy something more prestige out of a dream watch list. I would still buy some watches at the right price and flip them and save the money.
    I remember how I bought a Roamer watch from late 30s. I enjoyed it, it was keeping good time, it was Swiss made and vintage , good starter vintage watch.
    At the end of the day, if you buying painting and don't pay few millions for it, it is still an art.
    I guess your question is really subjective.
    Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

14. Majork Dec 4, 2016

You are right. I'm not asking about condition.

I mean quality in the term of "collectibility", not in the sense of craftsmanship. I might have used the term a little confusingly.

For example:

You can buy a Rolex Sub (5513 or the like) or get the similar look by buying a Tudor.

A Heuer 2447 or a similar look from Hamilton.

Do you rather invest more in the more prestigious brand and model from a financial or value standpoint?

It's not that I'm personally on the fence with my general collection, I'm just curious how others feel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. MPWATCH Watch Lover Dec 4, 2016

Condition is king, but rarity makes it fun. Enjoy the chase and learning the background on transitional features and stories behind them. Doesn't hurt to be in them right!

Edited Dec 4, 2016
  16. Jhh834 Really, I only owned it for 2 weeks! Dec 4, 2016

My personal philosophy is:

If you think it fills a void in your collection AND the price point offers you the opportunity to get out of it for little to no loss, then go for it. If the watch does not meet both criteria points, then you should pass on it. If it meets both of the criteria you will be able to enjoy it and get out later if you decide to sell it. It really doesn't matter who made it if both conditions are satisfied. A good buy is a good buy no what dollar amount we are talking about.

17. repoman Dec 4, 2016

Knowledge plays a huge role here... I think most start out not knowing much, and start accumulating pieces, as the knowledge grows, the tastes refine and you start being able to discern quality. I think everyone evolves to quality over time, but who wants to wait several years before buying their first timepiece, while they book learn? I"m still early in this process myself, many of my resale purchases are not high quality, but I didn't know it at the time.

Edited Dec 5, 2016
    bazamu and kov like this.
  18. bill5959 Dec 4, 2016

This is a really great conversation. I primarily collect BP. Right now everybody wants quality to the nth degree. We are usually talking about combat watches for me. I don't think it was a priority for our service people to keep the watches dry or perfectly preserved (well some were divers anyway), while risking their own butts out there for us. Even today I was dismayed to find people dissing a watch i have that has more character than any watch you may find. the guy was a real US diver for over 20 years! It gets more compliments than almost anything I wear.

So a lot of BP have rusted or missing lume hands. You pass up a 40-50 year old watch because of the hands? Radium is a real harsh environment. I go for provenance. Of course the collectors will make money, but I will appreciate what our service people did for us.

Atalien2005, tapaptpat and watchknut like this.
  19. Rman Dec 4, 2016

20. kov Trüffelschwein. Dec 5, 2016

I see a strong link between the raising knowledge and the wish for a grail piece.

On my side, I started with a birth year watch - a DD 145.022 (gold-steel dial and bezel) - that I've bought as a birthday gift to myself and I was almost sure that watch won't be worn. And I didn't wear it for months. Then I've bought a 345.0808 and it didn't leave my wrist for weeks.

Then a couple of other pieces arrived - for their look and feel, not their rarity - and I got more and more interested into Moonwatches. Got MWO, got more active here, started using instagram and saw hundreds of pieces a day... the more I've learned, the more my taste refined for some very specific pieces I'd like to get and yes, I've recently started selling some of watches I don't wear instead of simply keeping them in the dark.

Now, I'm trying to keep a focus on what I really want instead of jumping on just a good opportunity. Simply learned that opportunities with watches aren't single, it's just a matter of time (I am not talking about prototypes or unique pieces obviously). Now define myself as a patient wolf that without hesitation looks after quality over quantity.