Forums Latest Members

Qn: cal 1128 date adjustment (ie, jumping hour hand adjustment @ midnight)

1. taxico May 12, 2015

my apologies if my first post on the forum is to get help. as a rolex collector, i'm more of a lurker on this forum, checking out what omega has to offer.

yesterday my brother exchanged his omega seamaster gmt (1128) with one of my watches.

today i was trying to set the time/date up... and i assumed it worked the same way a rolex 3185 does...

i encountered some difficulty trying to set the date and time when i am in the hour jumping position.

my red GMT hand was pointing to 9PM but the local time was not correct - it was a few hours ahead at 11PM (or maybe 12 midnight), so i tried rolling the hour hand back but it wouldn't go back - the hour hand sorta clicks and stutters (feels like it's slipping) when i adjust it via the crown. at this time, the date was also changing.

a quick search on the internet says that the date should not be adjusted between 8PM to 2AM (or thereabouts) on a slow set omega... and that the 1128 falls under this particular set of instruction.

i thus proceeded to pull it out one more click to the time setting position and wound the clock back 12 or so hours (it works!), set both time zones correctly, before i advanced the time again to the correct/current time.

it's now past 10.30PM and the date seems to be working as per normal (if the manual is correct)... lazily rolling over to the next date.

my question is: is this behavior normal or is something wrong?

a follow-up question would be: if this is typical behavior, then how is this a traveler's gmt watch?

surely the hour hand should be free to jump to whichever hour at whatever time i'm on the plane... rolling the time back XXX hours seem to be a (minor but real) hassle on an otherwise really neat watch.

any insight from fellow 1128-powered watch owners appreciated. i'm hoping this is a broken watch that can be rectified with a service... *fingers crossed*

2. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 12, 2015

Sounds normal to me. You are trying to quick set the date by advancing the hour hand when the date change is already engaged, which as you now know is not recommended.

Cheers, Al

3. taxico May 12, 2015

thank you, Al. puts my mind at ease that i did not break my brother's watch.

i also came across another post on another forum that states the slipping action was designed so as to prevent damage when the user changes the date during the "forbidden hours..."