Forums Latest Members

Putting Gemini IV dial on regular moon watch..

1. Mozziebite Sep 20, 2017

I absolutely love the Gemini IV LE and I've been looking for one for ages, to no avail (at least not from within the UK). I was trundling around Asia for most of 2005 so missed the original boat, otherwise I'd have dropped very heavy hints to the other half about what she could have got me for my 40th that year.. :) So what I've been thinking about is getting the dial / hands / bezel (I can source those from the UK) and having them put onto a regular Moonwatch. I've asked my local AD (which has in-house servicing facilities) about this today and she seemed to think it would have to be sent off to Omega and applied as part of a full service (she's going to try to confirm this tomorrow). I must say I would be very surprised if that was the case - surely it would be a fairly simple operation? I'm not a watchmaker but surely it's just a case of taking off the bezel, glass, hands and dial and putting on the different ones? Am I missing something?

2. repoman Sep 20, 2017

Assuming the watch and the replacement parts are all in good working condition, I would take it to an independent watchmaker with a good reputation. I would not have Omega do this servicing. I have a lot of respect for good watchmakers, and I don't think anything related to servicing mechanical watches is "simple" (IMHO).

3. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 20, 2017

Any competent watchmaker can do this. I doubt that Omega would be willing to do this at all.
    As an alternative have you considered buy a Speedmaster that has already been modified in this manner?
    These are periodically offered, I believe there is one for sale on eBay right now

4. Mozziebite Sep 20, 2017

Can't find that Steve. Would you have a link? Thanks..

5. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 20, 2017

PM sent

6. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Sep 20, 2017

I modded a panda, I asked Omega if they would do the mod. This was 5 years ago and they said no.

The Gemini 4 is awesome.

IMG_20170621_075053.jpg

7. Mozziebite Sep 20, 2017

Thanks Steve. Alas, ships to US only...

8. Mozziebite Sep 21, 2017

Update - my AD called me back today and she said she'd spoken to Omega this morning and that they wouldn't do it. Something about not being on their "approved" service dials for that watch or some such nonsense. Don't understand what the problem is. It's their bloody dial and fits the case with no need for modification. ::confused2:: Then I asked if they couldn't just do it for me anyway in-house and she said that they couldn't, as Omega would be mad with them and send them to bed with no supper. So if I decide to do it I suppose it'll just be through a normal watchmaker. Probably at a fraction of the cost... :whistling:

9. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 21, 2017

This is Omega protecting the "integrity of their products" so it's clear they won't do mods like this. If you do the swap and send the watch to them for service, they will insist on swapping it back (at your expense) or refuse the service.

This is pretty standard policy in the industry - please note I am not saying I agree with it, just that this is the way it is...

Watchmutt, cicindela and gemini4 like this.
  10. Mozziebite Sep 21, 2017

Hmm. Cheers, but I don't see the problem. It's a straight swap of one dial for another (of their own) which (correct me if I'm wrong) wouldn't involve any modifications at all. Why should that affect the "integrity of the product"? If I dinged the case back and swapped it for a different, identical one would that be unacceptable as well? ::confused2::

11. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 21, 2017

If you are looking for a rational reason, don't waste your time. Omega simply does not condone "modding" of watches, which is what this is. They don't want their watches to be a blend of parts - hence why this protects the integrity of the product (i.e. the brand).

12. Mozziebite Sep 21, 2017

OK, I appreciate your input and don't want to labour the point, but are you saying that if I sent a watch to Omega for service and it didn't exactly tally with what the serial number says the spec should be, it would be a problem? Say if it was on a strap instead of the bracelet? Or if I'd replaced the clasp on a PO with the micro-adjustable version?

13. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 21, 2017

If the watch has been changed at all from the original, the safest thing to do is to remove those parts before sending it in. Or find someone other than Omega to service it.

Taddyangle likes this.
  14. Mozziebite Sep 21, 2017

Good to know. Looks like I'll just have to go back to my fruitless quest for an original Gemini. On a related note, for the last couple of days there's been an anonymous-looking white panel van parked on my street. I think the plates are Swiss. Is there a chance I might be taken to a secret Alpine location for "reconditioning"? Have you ever noticed ashen-faced, glassy-eyed people wandering the streets of Bienne, mumbling "Modding is bad. Modding is bad.."? :)

15. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 21, 2017

Lots of people mod these watches - there are probably more modded Mitsukoshi watches out there than original models. You just have to avoid using Omega for servicing them.

Omega does monitor these forums - I have received phone calls and letters from the legal department, but no white vans...yet...

16. Mozziebite Sep 21, 2017

Whoa. That's scary..

17. Perseus Sep 26, 2017

[​IMG]