Forums Latest Members

Put Tabitha, our 22 year old cat, down yesterday

1. airansun In the shuffling madness Sep 16, 2018

Sad, sad day.

It was time. She had gradually deteriorated over the last few years, to the point she regularly became disoriented. Her muscle tone was nonexistent. She was unsteady, fell a lot and had trouble keeping food down. It was time.

ADA24593-7A80-43C1-B088-15B24F4FD5C8.jpeg

(Pictures taken six years ago, at 16 years.)

93BFD415-7E4F-4F3A-9FC6-7D21234956E2.jpeg
    Her favorite place in the world.

Tabitha was the cat of my life. I’ve had others, but none were so devoted to me. She knew the sound of my garage door and would meet me on the stairs whenever I arrived home; we would exchange kisses through the stairway bars. A very sweet cat, we adopted her when she was two.

I cried like a baby.

Rest In Peace my love.

pascs, McKinley, STANDY and 31 others like this.
  2. Tik-Tok of Oz Sep 16, 2018

Condolences on losing your friend and companion. It sounds like gave her a great life for a long time.

airansun likes this.
  3. Nathan1967 Sep 16, 2018

So sorry to hear this Bob. She sounds like she was a hell of a character, what an innings she had.

All the best

Nathan

airansun likes this.
  4. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Sep 16, 2018

Sorry for your loss. They're not just pets, they're family members, so the hurt runs deep. :(

Edited Sep 16, 2018
    STANDY, Archer, Paedipod and 4 others like this.
  5. murph Sep 16, 2018

Pretty girl. so sorry

airansun likes this.
  6. Dan S Sep 16, 2018

My condolences to you and your family, @airansun.

airansun likes this.
  7. sxl2004 Sep 16, 2018

22 years is a good cat life!!
    Sorry for your loss from myself and Matilda our 20yr old cat.

AveConscientia and airansun like this.
  8. Professor Sep 16, 2018

When our 24 year old Mau Siamese mix started going downhill my Plot bearhound which she had raised from a tiny pup as if he was her own began carefully carrying her around in his mouth to her food and water then carrying her back to her sleeping basket and standing guard. He was devasted when she passed away.
    My full blooded Mau male is now nearly 19 years old and looks and acts like a three year old, other than getting a bit cranky and attacking my Husky mix like the cartoon Tasmanian Devil whenever he thinks she is getting out of line. He cut her face pretty deep once, deep enough to leave a permanent scar.
    Your Calico looks part Mau.
    I have a Calico with a bit more color.

9. jaguar11 Sep 16, 2018

So sorry for your loss.....

airansun likes this.
  10. ConElPueblo Sep 16, 2018

22 years is one hell of a run for a cat. Seems like you both did well, sorry for your loss.

airansun likes this.
  11. Canuck Sep 16, 2018

We had cairn terriers (remember Toto?) for 32 years. Had to put our last one (our fourth) down, 3 1/2 years ago, at age 17 years, 2 months, and 3 days. It still hurts, deeply. We are with you in your sorrow.

By Iyla Paschal Richardson

To Those I Love
    If I should ever leave you whom I love
    To go along the Silent Way,
    Grieve not,
    Nor speak of me with tears,
    But laugh and talk
    Of me as if I were beside you there.
    (I‘d come-I‘d come, could I but find a way!
    But would not tears and grief be barriers?)
    And when you hear a song or
    See a bird I loved,
    Please do not let the thought of me be sad...
    For I am loving you just as I always have...
    You were so good to me!
    There are so many things I wanted still
    To do—so many things to say to you...
    Remember that I did not fear—
    It was just leaving you that was so hard to face...
    We cannot see Beyond...
    But this I know:
    I loved you so -
    Twas heaven here with you!

12. Morseman Sep 16, 2018

I was never a cat person, but after spending several weeks with my daughter, being gradually accepted by her two furry companions, and getting to know their two very different personalities, I can only begin to understand your grief. May she rest in peace.

airansun likes this.
  13. Toishome Sep 16, 2018

Very saddened to read the news Bob. Condolences on loosing Tabitha. I cant even imagine how painful it must be.

airansun likes this.
  14. flw history nerd Sep 16, 2018

Very sorry to hear about your loss. My wife and I have three wonderful and affectionate cats, so I can understand exactly what you're feeling. The two of you were blessed to have one another's companionship for so long. May Tabitha rest in peace, and may you cherish your warm memories of her.

airansun likes this.
  15. ATWG Sep 16, 2018

Really sorry to hear of your loss, I know how difficult it can be. She lived a long and happy life, that should give you some comfort to remember her by.

airansun likes this.
  16. sdre Sep 16, 2018

My deepest heart felt condolences. I have a 9 year old Shih Tzu and a 6 year Goldie... I think my life will fall apart when they go :(

airansun likes this.
  17. Edward53 Sep 16, 2018

We too have lost cats of our own and know what you are going through. A cat, like a dog, is a person with their own distinct ways and foibles. They are a family member, and it's right to grieve at their passing. Sincere condolences.

airansun and dougiedude like this.
  18. ewand Sep 16, 2018

Sorry to hear about your loss, but you know it was the best thing for her.

We had an old moggy called Manon, inherited when we rented a place (and they inherited her as she just moved in one day - so nobody knows where she came from/how old she was). After we'd had her 11 years - and she might have been 6 or 7 when we got her - she was in a similar state to Tabitha, and the kindest thing we could do was to take her to the vet for the last time :(

Memories and photos live on for all of us.

airansun likes this.
  19. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Sep 16, 2018

What a wonderful life you gave to sweet Tabitha. I’m very sorry she’s no longer with you.
    My (daughter’s cat actually, since she chose her at the shelter as a toddler) rescue kitten, Belle, is nearly 14 yo now, and I cherish every moment we still have with her. She is much like your Tabitha, always greeting us at the door and curious of every new delivery (re: watches) or person who comes over. She’s affectionate like no other cat I’ve ever known. We were both blessed..

May Tabitha Rest In Peace!

airansun likes this.
  20. Buck2466 Sep 16, 2018

Sorry for your loss.:( The hardest thing I had to do in my life was putting down my dog. I still miss her and it was 8 years ago. It sounds like you had 20 great years!

airansun likes this.