Forums Latest Members

Purchase seamaster but which one ???

1. jonnyt Sep 7, 2011

Hello everyone

I am in a dilemma and looking for advice.
    I'm looking to buy my first quality timepiece. Of course it has to be an Omega Seamaster 300 m black 41 mm, but this is where the problem starts quartz or chrono? I like the auto movement but like the accuracy of the quartz.
    I am a kind clumsy person who's always taking bangs and scrapes so I am worried the chrono would possibly get damaged internally where as the quartz would possibly be more robust. I tried them both today at the local AD in Catagena, Spain and loved them both, also got reasonable offers on the price 1350€ from 1600€ ish on the Quartz, 2350€ from 2860€ Chrono.
    I intend to use the watch for everyday use
    Please help a confused wannabe Omega owner.

2. ulackfocus Sep 7, 2011

Welcome! Here's the question: do you see yourself becoming a watch addict? If not, go quartz and never look back. If it is a possibility, go mechanical so you don't kick yourself later down the line and take a bath on resale of the quartz.

3. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 7, 2011

If you're going to buy Quartz, IMO buy a cool Quartz like the Sinn UX1 or Speedmaster X33 that are actually appreciated, that Seamaster was always meant to be an automatic, and the Quartz version of that will always tend to look like the poor cousin of the automatic.

4. Trev The Architect Staff Member Sep 7, 2011

If my (automatic) Seamaster Chronograph is any indicator, I don't think durability will be an issue for you. I've had many nasty metal to metal smashes around our sailboat, and it's still ticking away happily. This is on a '97 model with an unserviced movement.

Personally, I have zero interest in Quartz movements since I'm surrounded by computers/phones/etc, all with their digital clocks and network synced time. A quartz watch is just another battery powered gadget in the same league (to me). A mechanical watch has soul. A mechanical watch is functional art in motion.

Welcome to the forum :thumbsup:

eyedoc751 and The GMT Master like this.
  5. jonnyt Sep 8, 2011

Well thanks for taking the time to reply. I did set out with Quartz in mind but the sweeping motion and mechanical movement of the Chrono drew me in. This will possibly be my only watch purchase but who knows I may get the bug. I have been trawling the Internet and have more or less come to the same answer as you guys were saying, so I am going to go with the Chrono. I will have to wait till the end of the year to top the funds up. But rest assured one of those puppy's will be mine.
    Just hope the prices don't increase too much before I make the purchase.
    Thanks again.

dsio likes this.
  6. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 8, 2011

If its going to be your only watch then the automatic makes even more sense. Is it the James Bond Seamaster 300M you're after in black?

7. jonnyt Sep 8, 2011

Yep that's the one 212.30.41.20.01.002. I saw a similar version about 10 or 12 years ago in Dubai and fell in love but just didn't pull the trigger, much to my regret. That was the blue version.
    Just counting the days now,

8. Steve Sep 8, 2011

Good choice, and even if you do decide to sell in the future, the black face Seamaster tends to hold its price more than the blue. I agree with Trev, the automatic is the way to go, having owned the blue face one myself. I wore mine for work every day and it took a lot of knocks.. This watch is bullet proof !!. Good luck and show us the pic's when it lands. :thumbsup:

9. jonnyt Sep 11, 2011

Will do with the pics, can't promise good photos as I will probably be shaking with excitement. Have also been reading a lot more about the movement and it's sounds and looks quite special. Think I may be getting the bug but first things first I need the watch.
    Anyways thanks again for info very much appreciated

10. Trev The Architect Staff Member Sep 11, 2011

Good luck. Hope you have one in your hands sooner rather than later.

11. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 11, 2011

I know what you're thinking btw, that thought that if I spend several thousand dollars on this thing, and I don't end up loving it, will I feel like I've blown my money. I get that every time I go on a cheese pizza binge, soon as the last slice is gone I think damn, why did I do that.

It doesn't work like that with Omegas or any high end watch, you don't ever feel bad about it afterwards, there is no buyer's remorse. Even if you have to do without going out or some other recreational spending, every time you look at it you'll know it was worth it. The reason manufacturers like Omega are still in business is that their customers are always happy with their products, and come back for more. Nobody stops at one, but don't worry about the first one, its the easiest big purchase you'll ever make.

12. Steve Sep 11, 2011

Ashley we all know you've probably spent more money on chips, gravy and cheese than most of us have spent on watches !:D

13. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 11, 2011

Now that's just hurtful :\

But I do run 12KM/day so I still look awesome :cool:

King0424 and Steve like this.
  14. ulackfocus Sep 11, 2011

I drive about that same distance a day, or more. Easier on the knees. :p

15. jonnyt Sep 15, 2011

When do Omega generally bring out their new catalouge and do you for see any big changes in the line up apart from the incorporation of the new 8500 calibre. Do you think they put it in the seamaster?

16. The GMT Master Chris @ ΩF Sep 16, 2011

They won't be putting the cal. 8500 in the SMP 300m, at least in the short term. There is a new model coming out, the first of which will appear in November time, and will feature:

*A ceramic bezel
    *Smooth gloss dial (available in blue and black variants)
    *An improved screw and pin Bond-style bracelet with a new clasp (smaller, has revised pushers to make it feel more secure)
    *Cal. 2500D automatic co-axial movement (no more quartz in the Seamaster)
    *Available in 36mm and 42mm sizes

The current SMP 300m will be phased out in the next few months. I had a chance to try on the new Seamaster yesterday, and it is a really, really nice watch. Retail in the UK is £2700, which isn't a massive increase on the current co-axial model, especially given the amount of work that has gone into the watch

Chris

17. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 16, 2011

Do you know what the difference is in the Cal 2500D over the Cal 2500C?