Forums Latest Members

Purchase check...50's 2617 rose gold black waffle dial

1. Banner Roar Mar 23, 2017

Looking for all the bumper fans to cast an eye on this example.......It looks in nice original untouched condition (unserviced and unpolished) but some concerns.

Information from add......Omega Automatic 18ct Rose Gold Vintage Wristwatch, black dial with rose gold numerals and a subsidiary second dial at 6 o'clock, 35mm rose gold case with a snap case back marked 2617.

My comments -
    332 bumper movement, 12mil, needs a service, good clean and missing a screw
    Case seem to match other examples but no image of the case back....yet. Should there be marks on the lugs to indicate solid gold?
    Dial - the absence of a minute marks. No sign of SWISS or SWISS MADE under 6. Got me thinking redial.
    Also, looking at other 2617 from here and google can't see a black or waffle dial example and none have all numerals.

upload_2017-3-23_16-2-23.png upload_2017-3-23_16-3-35.png upload_2017-3-23_16-6-21.png

2. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Mar 23, 2017

Looks like a redial to me, the hands don't look good, either.
    Are you sure it is rose gold?

3. Banner Roar Mar 23, 2017

not convinced it is either gold or rose gold as there are not marks on the lugs.

4. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Mar 23, 2017

Many different dial options were offered.

I'm with hoi on refinished dial, and he's our resident expert on Omega hands. :D

Do you have a shot of the inside of the case back?

hoipolloi likes this.
  5. Banner Roar Mar 23, 2017

That picture was not included which always gets my :cautious: hummmm going as there is a shot of the movement so there is no excuse.
    I have requested it.

6. François Pépin Mar 23, 2017

I assume it is a Swiss case.

A French case would necessarily have a poinçon (eagle head for 18 K) on every independent part (case back, bezel, main case). The only exception could be some part too small or too thin to have the mark (in some case, the bezel could be concerned by this exception).

On a Swiss case, I am not sure if this is mandatory. But usually there is some mark on the main case (most often on one lug or between two lugs).

7. François Pépin Mar 23, 2017

My first answer has been posted before I could read the other posts. Well, if you cannot have a pic of the case back, it would be hazardous to pay the price of solid gold.

8. Banner Roar Mar 23, 2017

Fully agree about the risk of paying a solid gold price. Even if I can get a case back picture there should be marks on the case to indicate it is solid gold and without those I would also be reluctant. Even before all that, I'm already heading the other way based on a possible refinished dial.
    Thanks for the comments.

9. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Mar 23, 2017

Pictures are way out-of-focus. Can't judge condition of movement or dial and there is no case back picture to confirm hallmarks.

I'm sure seller is asking solid gold money for it.

If you are "buying the seller", as you should be, this watch screams for you to run away from it.
    gatorcpa

10. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Mar 23, 2017

I think this ref may have had a hallmark on the side of the case (not on the back of the lug) in addition to the case back, it may be there or could have been polished.

Hands may be original, here is one (actually I found several like this) I found with an inner minute track which looks original.

Even more evidence that OPs watch is a redial.

6238A2010313-omega-Ref-2617.jpg

11. Banner Roar Mar 23, 2017

I wouldn't expect there to be very many at all with black waffle dials. If the case could be confirmed as gold the redial is an interest killer.
    There will always another watch going up for sale tomorrow.

12. Banner Roar Mar 23, 2017

It is a auction at a regional auction house. I always find their pictures are not good on small items. Estimate 800stg
    Thanks for the input......