Forums Latest Members

PULSAR TIME COMPUTER P 1 SOLID 18K GOLD

1. KARNAK Aug 26, 2013

Morning all,

Has anyone seen this watch on EBAY:
    PULSAR P 1 Time Computer solid 18K gold ITEM NBR 200950438502 $25,000 or £16,031.81. This watch is supposed to be the Holy Grail for Pulsar collectors there is very few of these still around, very rare, the guy mentions a lot of long gone film stars etc and at least one President of the U.S. supposedly wore one.The watch is going on 50 years old.
    I do remember seeing one, I met the Chairman of the Heinz Corp outa Philly. once and he was wearing one that he had just bought, this was about 30 year's ago. If my memory serves me correct he paid $2200 which back then was the price of a Cadilac auto. This is a real nice watch but $16,031 is over the top considering even for scrap value it would be only worth about $9500. The most this watch is worth would be about $10,000 and even that is high.
    The modules on these watches eventually give up about this time, ok you can get a modified module from Strikes&Spares in Germany but collectors would be turned off because it not the origional so the value completely plummets.
    Regards,
    KARNAK.

2. ulackfocus Aug 26, 2013

Pulsar.jpg
  3. KARNAK Aug 26, 2013

Hi Dennis,
    Well done, you know it does not look like a bad looking watch only for the price,
    Regards,
    KARNAK

4. ulackfocus Aug 26, 2013

I don't get the attraction. Yes, they were cool and hip when they first came out. Now it's a chip that's going to fail any day inside a bunch of gold. I guess the same people that collect Commodore 64's and early prototype computers would be interested, but I don't see the value. ::confused2::

5. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Aug 26, 2013

I remembered my father trade his Rolex day date gold with one of these all gold digital LCD watch in mid 70's. It has similar red LCD screen.
    I can not remember whether it was Pulsar. But at that time it was uber cool to see LCD. It only lasted 2 or 3 months, he traded back with Rolex again (very wise move).

6. KARNAK Aug 26, 2013

Hi ,
    Smart move on your father's part to go back to his Rolex Privateday7, the Rolex will be running a long time after the expensive LCD's will be only a memory.Dennis is completely right the chip will go any day. The slightest little clip will destroy the wiring on the module then it becomes an expensive pieceof junk good for nothing but to sell for scrap and in the process loose a pile of cash from the origional purchase.
    Regards,
    KARNAK