Forums Latest Members

Public Service Announcement: don't ignore that niggling back pain

1. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jan 18, 2018

Keyhole robot surgery is cool, but as @STANDY said, they have to pump your innards up with gas, and gas has to escape, so have your iPhone Voice Memo ready to record, you are about to witness your body make epic sounds!

(Maybe get C to do the recordings in post-op, I was too whacked to think of recording it but remember it vaguely).

nonuffinkbloke likes this.
  2. tyrantlizardrex Jan 18, 2018

You’re saying I’m going to make weirder noises than normal Jim?!

Far out.

nonuffinkbloke and akshayluc420 like this.
  3. Lonestar insert Schwartz joke HERE Jan 18, 2018

Get well soon Chris :)

4. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jan 18, 2018

Don't let it scare you, but be prepared!

5. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jan 18, 2018

Lucky I was talking about something else as a side effect but it's mainly from Hernia laparoscopic procedures

Men who have had an inguinal hernia repair may find their scrotum is swollen and turn black and blue. This is normal and may worsen after a few days. To help reduce swelling, use ice packs and wear supportive underwear such as briefs. The scrotum will return to normal in a few weeks.

https://www.oregonsurgical.com/patient-info/instructions/hernia-treatment/

No recordings or videos sorry @JimInOz

6. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jan 18, 2018

I think we are all happy about that bit.

I had a hernia op about 40 years ago, the old style with a knife. Couldnt move for a week, and being a military hospital, nurses were few and far between and the medical orrderlies were extremely unsympathetic. No coconuts though.

7. abrod520 Jan 18, 2018

I didn't have any issues with this, just some soreness in my shoulders / near my clavicle due to the gas. Went away by the time everything else went back to normal after a few days

8. tyrantlizardrex Jan 18, 2018

Got called back to the hospital today for another round of blood test, as Tuesday's were still at 150 for bilirubin in the blood when they should be 25-30.

Tests today show bilirubin at 85 - so they've booked me in next Wednesday at 8am for a endoscopic ultrasound to see what's going on in there, with the possibility that they will need to remove a blockage from the bile ducts, or open it up a little.

Looks like I'll be sticking to that 10:30 end time for Time 4A Pint for the first time ever... and drinking soda water. :unsure:

9. Moadib Jan 18, 2018

Great that bilirubin is coming back down, your body's getting that back under control.

Best wishes for next Wednesday - I've not a lot of time for the 'GP' end of the NHS, but when you get to (literally!) the sharp end, they're total pro's, and you should be in best of hands.

Alpha and tyrantlizardrex like this.
  10. Vicke Jan 18, 2018

"Fart out" :) ::rimshot::::psy:::whipped:

11. tyrantlizardrex Jan 18, 2018

Agree with you there - the surgeon and her team have been fantastic so far. Feel in very safe hands. :thumbsup:

12. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Jan 18, 2018

Totally in agreement, once you reach the sharp end the care is fantastic. Unfortunately on occasion it is the route that can let you down, my GP is not at all happy that I am refusing to swallow codeine all day long whilst I wait on my next hospital appointment :mad:

Edited Jan 18, 2018
  13. tyrantlizardrex Jan 18, 2018

After 5 days of codine, my constitution was less than ideal... madness to suggest long term use.

Longbow and nonuffinkbloke like this.
  14. bigdubnick Jan 18, 2018

Chris
    Thank you for the PSA. I have been neglecting a few pains for quite some time and convinced myself that I am too young (late 30s) to really worry about them. Your original made me realize I was being dumb about it...and prompted me to schedule a doc visit. I am lucky that I just need to do some light physical rehab stuff but feeling appreciative of the peace of mind. Cheers - I love OF for many reasons including this type of thing.
    Nick

15. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Jan 18, 2018

Totally agree, an extremely dangerous medication for long term use.

16. nonuffinkbloke #1 Nigel Mansell Fan Jan 18, 2018

Yes, amen to that... and I like the "laparoscopic" approach @tyrantlizardrex :thumbsup:... less chance of the bassteddz leaving any forceps and swabs inside before they zip you back up.:eek:

Anyway... Hope it all goes well Chris and they sort you out nicely.:) (Not really sure 'who the fakk' Billy Rubin is??? ::confused2:: ... but if she said she's "coming back down" ??? She sounds like a very thorough and professional lady! Very reassurring to hear she's doing the operation!:thumbsup:)

Edited Jan 18, 2018
    tyrantlizardrex likes this.
  17. Uniqez Jan 19, 2018

18. akshayluc420 Jan 30, 2018

How are you feeling?

Hope this brings a chuckle:

19. tyrantlizardrex Feb 22, 2018

Update: I now have no gallbladder!

It was meant to be day surgery, and then release and send home the same day, but there were some complications that meant the surgery took longer than planned... so more general anaesthetic, and more morphine... and when I woke up, I was in no fit state to go anywhere.

Now recovering at home, and nursing the 4 surgical stab wounds in my abdomen... my bellybutton is never going to be the same again... and my dreams of one day being James Bond, prancing around in Speedos, wearing a Planet Ocean may have been dashed. ;)

20. BlueBoy Feb 22, 2018

Glad to hear you are safely Home Chris...

Maybe the World is a safe place without you in a pair of Budgie Smugglers :whipped: